a deal or what?

I picked up a brand new 02 yz426 on saturday for $5700 out the door including taxes and evrything. I have not riden in ten years since I left for college. It felt good getting on the dirt again. I am 6'2 190 so felt a bigger stronger bike would suit my needs. I took it out that evening And I felt pretty tentative. The bike was strong as hell. will I be able to grow into the bike or was it too much to start with?

To answer post 1 - yes, you will grow into it... it really depends on what sort of riding and how often you are riding.

As for your second post, take it easy... grow into the bike forst, then search Tt for grey wire mod, throttle stop, YZ timing, airbox lid or exhaust baffle - plenty there to keep you in power for a few more rides...

Good luck,

David

DJ426,

Grease the suspension linkage and steering stem bearings soon, and regrease every six months or so. These bikes don't have much grease in them from the factory.

Get an extra air filter so you always have a clean one, change it every couple of rides.

Keep fresh 4-stroke oil in trans, and change on a regular basis. Lots of discussion here on oil, I suggest you do a search on the topic.

Wear good riding gear, hang on and have a blast!

You dont have to do all the grey wire,airbox,timing stuff on a YZ426F . You might want to do the BK Mod and the blue wire mod , But only if you feel that your bike isnt running or starting right , or if it's stalling . It will take awhile to learn the drill and your bike to get the starting thing down. Each bike has its own Quirks , The suspension will get plusher and the starting will get easier as it breaks in . One good thing to do is get a good set of bars . Like the pro-tapers and go to a 51 tooth rear sprocket .Make sure your jetting is right for your area and weather. Definately check all your linkage for grease and make sure your air filter is oiled I got mine and it wasn't. Congrats on the New Bike , I got my 01 Which was a bike that didnt get sold before the 02 came out for $4500 still in the crate OTD. I wouldnt trade it for the world , Well maybe a YZ450F. By the way the first thing you should do to inhance performance is Buy a Thunder Alley pipe , Buy a Thunder Alley pipe , Buy a Thunder Alley Pipe . I put one on my bike and WOOOOOOOOOW! hang on ! you will not regret buying this pipe . $250 will get you the best bolt on performance you can get. ?

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: rvanliere ]

I'm similar to you. I had about a 10 year layoff from riding and then got myself the '01 426. WOW talk about an awakening! At first I was twisting the throttle like it was an 80cc bike, and I was spending most of my time flapping in the breeze and I was dead tired after a lap or two. When I finally learned not to do that I started riding much better and faster and longer between breaks. The more I ride this thing the more fun I have. My advice is to ride it for a while and try to keep from opening it up at every opportunity and take time to get used to it and learn how to adjust the suspension once it's broken in. Then decide.

I personally wouldn't modify anything unless you have a specific need. The suspension? Maybe. The motor? Why bother?? The motor is incredible, and if you're in a similar climate (sea level, between 75-95 degrees F) then the jetting is probably OK stock too. Keep your money for replacing parts like bent bars and chains and sprockets, or get some more pads, or send it to the AMA or Blue Ribbon Coalition so we can keep our riding areas open. Just my $.02, have fun with the new toy!! ?

If you haven't ridden in 10 years than don't even think about modifying the bike for more power yet.

Just get used to this bike first (which won't happen overnight).

Yamahadude wrote: As for your second post, take it easy... grow into the bike forst, then search Tt for grey wire mod, throttle stop, YZ timing, airbox lid or exhaust baffle - plenty there to keep you in power for a few more rides...

Yznvegas: The bike is already a YZ, not a WR.....DOH ?

Nobody else has said it, so I will.

Set the rear sag.

Nothing else has such a detrimental effect on a bikes handling than the sag being way off. Also, after the suspension breaks in you might consider getting front and rear springs. At 190 lbs you are on the edge of the envelope for the stock set up. Springs will cost less than a pipe and a well handling bike will make you a better rider than a more powerfull bike.

Sorry guys for the brain fade... I though I was in WR land... Of course you don't have to YZ time the thing... (I suppose I could back out of it with some vague reference to the YZ ignition module or something, but I won't ? ) I just went into autoresponder mode when I saw the key words "yamaha 426" + "more power"...

Hey most of my advice usually makes sense, when it is written during daylight hours... :D:D

Mental note to self... read posts twice before replying... LOL

David

I got my '02 426 for $4800 last month and I am in heaven. After riding an XR 400 (overweight red underpowered beast)for 2 years off and on and after a 21 year lay off this scoot has me feeling young again (for a ragged out, crippled, 45 year old engineer that is a great feeling :D .) I would definately grease the linkages, shock bolts swing arm pivot bolt and stearing head bearings. No factory seems to put enough grease in these critical points. I have had to do the last four bikes my son and I got. Seems that I did that constantly in the 70's; some things never change. I did change to Renthal bars and grips ( used cheap 3M spray adhesive ? ) and I just ordered renthal sprockets and chain (stock is already streached and deflecting, and I went to 51T on the rear.) I put in a PC racing filter seal and a Twin-Air filter as a precaution. Also, check the rear wheel alignment, mine was off from the dealer. Congratulations on the new scoot and enjoy it as often as possible :D .

Regards,

Bill Barnard

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Florida 426 ]

Thanks for all the advice guys it is much needed. I am not seventeen anymore I have bills and responsibillities. I was shaking like a scared cat after riding trails for two hours. In the washes it felt like the front wheel kept sliding. You guys are right I kept wanted to hit the throttle but as soon as I did that I would do a superman. This bike ain't no joke. I love it so far. After the first thirty minutes I doubted myself and thought that I should have gotten a 250, but then I said to myself I have not ridden on dirt in ten years I have to develope my skills all over again. As far as graesing the different parts is there the little nipples for the grease gun. I live in southern cali but my bike is still at my wifes cousins house in Vegas so I cannot go outside and look. I had to leave it because I did not expect to get the deal I did and I had my jetski with me. I ordered the bike carier that plugs right into my hitch and I am also putting a ramp on my ski trailer so I can take both with me to vegas. Keep the advice coming, thanks ?

DJ,

No zerk fittings unless the bike was modified by the dealer ( fat chance ? .) You should have been given a shop manual from the dealer, if you purchased from one. If you did it will show how to disassemble and reassemble the various parts yu will need to work on. My dealer gavve me the shop manual as an owners manual so I am only assuming that all dealers will do the same. If not get an owners manual / shop manual and do your own work. That is the single most satisfying aspect of owning outside of the shear fun of the riding and racing. Welcome to TT and to the Blue World, you will not be sorry.

Regards,

Bill Barnard

Hey Florida426, where did you get that deal? I'm a few hours south of you but for that price it may be almost worth the drive. My '01 cost me almost $6k in WPB (over $6k with the $300 theft insurance). Was it considered a left over or something?

DJ426, as for the front washing out, set the rear sag and if it's still washing out then slow down the front rebound. See if that helps.

STL,

I got their last 2002 426. That price did include tax and the normal handling with an allowance for my XR 400R, after they used most of its trade value for paying off my son's XR 200R. (No more red for me, I am trying to save my son's mortal soul for getting a CR 125.) My retail was about 5400 before all the usual government graft. Sorry if the price above got you excited but I forgot about the trade allowance. I am still delerious about getting my 426 ? .

Regards,

Bill

The front end may feel "vague" or it may slide a bit until you do a few things in the following order:

(1) Set the rear sag.

(2) Get used to riding again. Sit as close to the front forks as possible. Your butt should be up by the gas cap when you turn.

(3) Use an appropriate front tire for the conditions. If you are riding in sandy washes the stock 739 is terrible. Use a 756 or 755 instead (they're only about $40 from www.rockymountainmc.com)

**optional

One other thing to do is to raise the forks in the triple clamps about 5 mm. This will help with turning at the expense of stability at high speeds. Since you are getting back into it you might not go that fast to feel the lack of stability!

I am seriuosly thinking of putting a real good deal together myself.

I am concidering selling both my 2000 yz426 with my 88 ysr50

the bikes are emaculant the ysr has 170 orig miles and is stock as a rock and looks almost showroom - some nics in the Frame paint.

I am concidering it becouse I think I can get for both of them together what I would pay for a new yz450 ?

Waddya think