HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
midwestmotocross

Tired old kickstarter question

5 posts in this topic

A buddy's 1998 YZ400 kickstarter finally gave out and split at the base. He seems to think he can have it welded by the same guy who welded up the crack in his case, but in the event that doesn't work, which years' bikes will work and does anyone have one for sale?

He can be reached at mkeefe@midwestmotocross.com.

Thanks,

James

i can tell you for sure right now, welding it wont help, it wil never be as strong as before. and the oem unit isnt strong enough to begin with. any 400-426f kickstarter 98-02 should fit, but double check this with a dealership. retail is about 110$

In '98 I believe Yamaha recalled some of their YZ400 because of the weak kick starter. Now four years later you have a better chance of seeing Elvis than have Yamaha swap kick-starters. Good news is they fixed the problem for '99. :)

After my '98 broke, I found some quad guys using the 426 motors in there quads. Seems like they were taking off the stock levers and using another aftermarket one in its place. As I had already ordered up a $190.00 BBR, I was just curious what they were doing with the stockers. There reply? "We just throw them up on the shelf somewhere." I bought all they had! I can sell you one for $40.00. Hardly used! If not, check in your area for similar quad conversions. Maniac :)

Originally posted by MANIAC998:

After my '98 broke, I found some quad guys using the 426 motors in there quads. Seems like they were taking off the stock levers and using another aftermarket one in its place. As I had already ordered up a $190.00 BBR, I was just curious what they were doing with the stockers. There reply? "We just throw them up on the shelf somewhere." I bought all they had! I can sell you one for $40.00. Hardly used! If not, check in your area for similar quad conversions. Maniac :)

Please e-mail Mike at mkeefe@midwestmotocross.com.

His connection is screwy right now, so it might be a few days before he responds.

Thanks,

James