Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCOTTYZF426FLA

Changed the oil on my 450 and..

11 posts in this topic

I saw that it has a paper filter!! My 426 came with the brass wire one. Does anyone sell a metal filter for the 04 450?

Do not use a metal screen filter for the new 04 450f, the paper filter filters out even finer fragments than the metal one. Take a look at the screen density of the metal filter. Its not really paper, it is a plastic composit, or Modern synthetic filter media, designed for ultimate flow with less pressure drop, yet engineered for outstanding filtration to meet or exceed all OEM specifications. Compatible with all of the latest synthetic engine oils and unaffected by racing fuels. K & N makes a good replacement.

:thumbsup:

Hmm....never thought of it that way. I am just sick of getting screwed out of $12 for that little bastard. At least when I changed the filter on my R1 I felt like I was getting my money's worth.

Do not use a metal screen filter for the new 04 450f, the paper filter filters out even finer fragments than the metal one.

This statement is true only when comparing the '01 bronze screen to the '03 paper or other paper element filters. The Scotts unit is made of multiple layers of laser cut stainless steel micronic filter cloth. Because it is layered, it has 200% more filter area than the stock paper unit. Most good paper filters will pass particles in the 90 to 95 micron range, and some tested, as much as 300 microns. Sand is about 125 microns and a white blood cell approximately 25 microns. Scotts stainless filters stop particles down to 35 microns, which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. The pleat seam is welded, able to withstand up to 600 degrees, and will not crush if suddenly contaminated, as when you develop a trans problem, like paper filters will.

Yeah, I agree. I just wouldnt use the old style screen filters, when there are more advanced ones that catch more metal fragments, and dirt. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Old saying, but still holds true. :thumbsup:

Do not use a metal screen filter for the new 04 450f, the paper filter filters out even finer fragments than the metal one. Take a look at the screen density of the metal filter. Its not really paper, it is a plastic composit, or Modern synthetic filter media, designed for ultimate flow with less pressure drop, yet engineered for outstanding filtration to meet or exceed all OEM specifications. Compatible with all of the latest synthetic engine oils and unaffected by racing fuels. K & N makes a good replacement.

:thumbsup:

Very true, but you sound like a sales guy for Fram or something. Reminds me of the new Waltrip/Dale Jr NAPA Select Oil Filter commercial :devil:

Stainless filters are definately better than those crappy paper ones. they filter way better and heaps faster.