HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxrox

YZ450F HAS LANDED

13 posts in this topic

WELL THE NEW YZ450F HAS LANDED,IT WAS ON DISPLAY,AND LOOKS MIGHTY FINE,A TOTAL NEW MACHINE,AND REALLY SLIMMED DOWN,AND FLAT ACROSS THE TOP,IT WAS AT OUR MX CHAMPS HERE IN NEWZEALAND,IM OFF TO GET ONE!!,IT HAD 2 SMALL LEVERS ON THE BARS,ONE IS THE HOT START,BUT THE SECOND WAS IM NOT SURE,AS I THOUGHT IT WAS AN AUTO DECOMP,THE NEW MUFFLER CAP LOOKS SO TRICK,IN TITANIUM

I'll be at Laguna Seca next weekend for the World Superbike races. I'm sure Yam will have a YZ450 in their tent so I'll get some pics with my digital camera. Hopefully they'll have a WR450 too.

The one I saw at the Yamaha dealer show had only a hot start lever mounted on the left side.

Its a good idea to have a manual decomp too, just in case the auto one fails, just my two cents. pretty sure the honda , and ktm have both.

The guy I was riding with yesterday bump-started his 1998 YZ400 for half the day (see other message about broken kickstarter) and he didn't use the manual decompression lever.

James

You guys are nuts. When a bike doesn't have an auto decomp, you bitch about it. When they come out with an auto, you guys wants a manual just to have it. There's no pleasing you guys.

Since the auto-compression release is activated by rpm, bump starting should be essentially the same procedure as on a 2-stroke. Motor stalls = 0 rpm, thus auto-compression release is activated just as if you were about to use the kick starter.

Sidenote on the auto decompressor, the honda engages below 300 rpm, the Yamaha at 1300.

Keep your idle turned up, otherwise the bike will kill itsself!

thats dumb

also, im confused by this: they say that the inertia of the crankshaft has been lessened by like 30% i think it was, does that mean we're gonna have less engine braking effect?

The U.S. display bike that has been seen in all the magazines lately was at Glen Helen during the Yamaha Race Of Champions event. It was shiny and new one day and the next time I saw it , it looked slightly used. Someone was riding it while I wasn't looking! Same for the new 250F. This one only had the small hotstart lever over by the clutch but if you look closely in the magazines, it still has the decompression equipment on the cylinder head. Maybe the one overseas still had the decomp lever on it? One of the Yamaha guys told me that these were display or magazine bikes. Pre production prototypes if you wish. He said that hardware won't be on production bikes when they actually come out. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I also so some kooks trying to bump start a 426. That was funny! Also saw some kids playing around on one of the YROC 426's during the trophy presentation. They were talking about how hard it was to start. I watched three different little heathens try to start it. At one point I felt like telling them what the little lever was for but decided.....naaaaaah! It was worth a laugh for myself and my son.

anyways...is it still possible to bump start an auto decompression bike like a manual one? just pop it in gear?