Moving from 2-stroke to 4-stroke

I'm brand new to this forum and appreciate the information I've been getting from it (less the out of control flames that occasionally fly). I'm selling my 2000 YZ250 and have placed an order for the YZ450F. I have next to no time on a 4 stroke but have heard nothing but good. I ride both motocross and trail/cross country. How much will I have to change in my ride style in this move and where will the biggest changes have to take place? Appreciate the feedback in advance!

smooth power, no pre-mix, no changing top-ends all the time, go fast without feeling like you are (watch out for over jumping at the track).

you will never go back to a two stroke!! now that the 450F is lighter there is not much left for the naysayers to complain about.

thump for life!!

I think you have to be patient at first. Like anything different, it may a bit frustrating. I found the engine braking really different, but now I love it. As stated above, less clutch. The motor likes to be lugged. After you have adapted to the nuances, you'll never go back. I also have a YZ450 on order and cannot wait. I just put my 426 up for sale.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback. I have the number 2 bike coming into my dealership. I've heard getting used to the engine breaking is one of the tougher obstacles to overcome. If all goes well and I get my bike in the next month or two I'll post some feedback...positive I'm sure!

I thnk the biggest change you will notice is how the bike compression brakes, it may be a bit nerveing for you since the 2 smoke free wheels on decel. but as you get to understand the bikes ergos (Hey Thats Like Ego But With an R) ? . You will really engjoy backing the bike into corners with the compression alone.

You Wrote

How much will I have to change in my ride style in this move and where will the biggest changes have to take place?

I thnk the biggest change is what I mention above, but as far as style goes, I think cornering will be the other big change. Seeing as you gain a couple more pounds and the enertia of a thumper, you will need to straiten you turning out , more like using apex style turn, shortest wahy around. Go in high come out low....

Someone mention jumps, third big change ther,,, Never never never chop the throttle in the face of the jump, a thumper likes to excel through the face, if you chop the throttle, you will need a real good nose and tooth dr, face plants hurt

Good luck and congrats on your spiritual conversion and journey

Ego

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

If you say please, EGO might even re- post his cornering technique video here ? Naw, all kidding aside you will have a blast on your new thumper, the hardest thing for me to get used to is almost forgetting about yhe rear brakes coming into corners. Slight acceleration during cornering will give you more traction and then roll the throttle on coming out of the corner, you will be smoother and faster without even realizing it. Now if I could only practice what I preach.

SoCal

I won't BS you. I had one hell of a time making the switch. After racing 2 stk. for years & years then going to the 426 I thought I made the biggest mistake ever. I kept trying to ride it like a 2 stk. I think it took me a good 2 months to make the change, many times I was ready to take the bike back and just take the loss. I'm happy now I stuck it out, I just love my 4 poppers and in 04 I'll get another one.

They are much easier to stall, so if you hit the back brake, make sure to pull in the clutch.

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: MateoB ]

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: MateoB ]

First Off - Congrats, 4stroke is here to stay. All bikes are AWESOME & Unreal.

2nd - Learn to START the Bike. Read everything about starting. (Magazine, Yamaha WEB site etc.)

3rd - To Start, after you read the Starting DRILL, FOLLOW the DRILL and KICK it like you mean it.

&%$#@! can't start 4 strokes, don't be a &%$#@!.

Dogs can't start it either! hehehehe

You'll love it. (if you can start it)

It ain't no TWO STROKE, so don't try to start it like ONE!!!!!

All good info. One additional question...suspension. I have a RaceTech Gold Valve set-up on my YZ250 (springs, valves, pistons) and love the plushness. The fact that I weigh 220lbs almost guarantees the need for stiffer springs. Now I'm moving to a heavier bike with different acceleration characteristics and would like to get an idea of what others are using and recommending. RG3, RaceTech, BBR, Pro Circuit? What do you all like/dislike?

I am also 220lbs and I needed stiffer springs on the 426. My plan with the YZ450 was to set sag to 100mm then check the static sag. If I fall outside the range and I probably will, I will buy the next stiffer springs. I will be moving my Enzo subtanks from the 426 and installing them as well.

I will ride the bike for a while and experiment with the settings. At that point I'll start talking to the Enzo rep to see what improvements a revalve can achieve. The revalve and the subtanks made a huge improvement on the 426. I feel that nobody knows Kayaba suspension better than Enzo, so I would recommend them. We are fortunate to have an Enzo shop here, so I don't have to mail the components and he can help with fine tuning at the track.

I hope that helps.

Originally posted by MXOldtimer:

I won't BS you. I had one hell of a time making the switch. After racing 2 stk. for years & years then going to the 426 I thought I made the biggest mistake ever. I kept trying to ride it like a 2 stk. I think it took me a good 2 months to make the change

MXOT took the words right out of my mouth. It seriously took me a good solid year to finally ride the thing good. You'll probably stall it at first but you'll get used to it. I think the biggest advantage to 4 strokes is that it won't tire (s?) you out so fast, I know for me that 4 strokes in general are easier to ride (once you get used to it). Good job on getting the 450F!! The bike is going to rip!!! I promise

dl ?

Originally posted by oldblue:

All good info. One additional question...suspension. I have a RaceTech Gold Valve set-up on my YZ250 (springs, valves, pistons) and love the plushness. The fact that I weigh 220lbs almost guarantees the need for stiffer springs. Now I'm moving to a heavier bike with different acceleration characteristics and would like to get an idea of what others are using and recommending. RG3, RaceTech, BBR, Pro Circuit? What do you all like/dislike?

Before you send your suspension off to a big name give Richard Wilson a call. He owns, House of Horsepower. He shares stables with Herb's cycletown in Cottage Grove, Or.541-942-3337 ask for Richard Wilson, he's a nice guy and will talk your ear off.

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: MXOldtimer ]