Going Two stroke for 2005

Full Speed Ahead

At Yamaha, two-stroke development continues full speed ahead, and another Supercross Championship for the YZ250 only adds incentive to make the bike even more competitive for 2005.

Introducing the all-new aluminum framed YZ250 - strong like bull, five pounds lighter, and retaining the geometry and handling for which YZ is legendary.

Rigid and lighter swingarm

Revised linkage

All-new fork using all-new transfer control valves

New aluminum Renthal handlebar

.... and about a hundred other details designed to produce an even more unbeatable power-to-weight ratio.

The YZ250 is a sharp-edged sword indeed. Its class-leading carbon-fiber reed-valve inducted YPVS-valved engine has evolved into a hard-hitting and responsive powerplant, and even more so with less weight to propel.

As delivered, the YZ250 is ready to race straight out of the crate.

Try not to be shocked at how good you are when you open this Supercross-winning performance package.

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price...$6,099*

We just went 4 stroke in the 125 class. My son was getting out-gunned by the 250f's. I figured we'd be just fine in the 250 class. After last weekend, watching "slower" riders blow by him down the same long straightaway every lap, I realize that he is down on horsepower in that class, too. Look at the 1st 4 bikes in every moto so far in the outddor nationals. 2 strokes are falling behind bigtime in the pure horsepower race. `05 will see us completely on 4 strokes. It's coming. Might as well accept it! I see a YZ 450 in our future.

I think what he meant was that it'd have more top speed than the older 5 speed, INCLUDING the four strokes (with their 4 speed trannies). If you look at the design of the new 125, with it's angled engine for a straighter intake (very KTMish) and vast engine revisions, I think it will definitely get close to running with the 4's. . . remember I said "CLOSE". . .

Someone just need to make 2 strokes that could compete with the 4 strokes in the horsepower race. All the manufactures have been laggin behind. When you have a YZ250F that has enough power to be competitive in a true 250cc class on the right track, and the 450's are reaching true open class power out of the box theres a problem.... ?

The "power" as in peak horsepower is similar. Yes, the 250Fs have a big edge down low, but the 125s rev SO much faster.

The decision between an F and a 2 is snap vs. traction. If you like snap, go with the 2. If you place a premium on traction, go with the F. One is right for some, the other for others. Personally, I think the snap of a 2 is much more fun, but, yes, it does wear you out quicker and most people will go faster on an F for a longer period of time if they learn to carry corner speed.

This six-speed, 190# YZ125 is going to change some minds, though. You can count on that.

When you have a YZ250F that has enough power to be competitive in a true 250cc class on the right track, and the 450's are reaching true open class power out of the box theres a problem.... ?

yeah even though i hate to admit it,i love my 4 stroke and i really really think it has helped me become a better rider,but there are times when i daydream about buying a lighter,easier to man handle 2smoke,i kinda miss my kx250,hmmm.. ?:awww:

.... When you have a YZ250F that has enough power to be competitive in a true 250cc class on the right track, and the 450's are reaching true open class power out of the box theres a problem.... ?

Interesting angle. I am guessing that when they first came out with the displacement rules that they did not imagine 4-strokes developing like they have. Then again maybe they did, I don't know, but it's a neat theory!