wr starting procedure?

I am going to buy either a wr250 or a 400 series model used. I have have read numerous articles though about the stupid difficulty of starting it. Theres a specific way or certain steps you have to take inorder to start it. I am used to just kick starting my xr600. Whats the procedure that everyones talking about? I understand that certain models have an electric starter but what about the other ones. Any help would be appreciated

I had no issues starting my WR400 once I had the drill down.

1) kick until you get some compression at TDC (one or 2 kicks)

2) pull in the decompression lever and put about a 1/4 kicks distance into the kick starter

3) release the decompression lever, and let the kick starter return to it's normal position

4) kick it once more and it fires up.

It's all in the manual and it works pretty well all the time. I find with the yz autodecomp-cam in it it's actually harder to start. Without the cam the bike would fire up in 1 or 2 attempts whereas with the cam it may take 10 kicks to make it fire.

'00 in Calgary

Basically you need to try and pump some gas into the engine with the throttle a few times prior to kicking

<-- if I do that with mine it won't start for a week! If it is jetted perfectly (which mine hasnt been since doing a pipe swap last week) it goes first kick every time. If you stall it, use the hotstart. Just don't touch that throttle! A well tuned WR will start first time, every time. Just takes a bit of practice to get the drill perfect. I'm not saying Indy is wrong, his bike must be leaner on the slow speed circuit.

03 and onwards have electric start. 03 had a few problems with the magic button, which I believe they fixed in 04.

Thats the SAME procedure that my xr600 needed. So I am assuming these editors are looking for the smallest of faults with bikes to have something to gripe about. Thanks for the info. Now I need to decide whether I want a 250 or 400. Does anyone know the hp and tq difference in the 2? I know about dynoing street bikes but do they do that on motocross bikes?

I recently picked up a '00Wr400 and I gotta tell ya I was very intimidated by the whole process at first. It however only took a couple times through the process and I've got it down to where it's a piece of cake. I only give a little throttle if it's sat for a while, and only one quick blip. Then I hold in the decomp lever and kick through twice, release decomp lever kick through slow till it stops, return kick to start position and kick once hard all the way through and it fires right up. The procedure sounds long and painful, and while it is annoying it's really very easy to pick up on and goes by fast.

It's all in the manual and it works pretty well all the time. I find with the yz autodecomp-cam in it it's actually harder to start. Without the cam the bike would fire up in 1 or 2 attempts whereas with the cam it may take 10 kicks to make it fire.

I have seen two bikes with the auto decomp and they seem like they don't start as well. I will keep my drill and have the bike fire on one kick instead of 5.

I know about dynoing street bikes but do they do that on motocross bikes?

Just throw a flat track or trials tyre on the rear. Knobbys and dynos dont go together too well. Then when u have finished on the dyno you can have some fun on the street hangin' out the rear ?

1 - Throw the misses over the seat.

2 - Crack a tinnie

3 - This could take a while so perhaps grab the whole carton.

4 - By the time you get to the 6 can she should have it going.

5 - Now let her warm it up while you have another can.

6 - Riding while under the influence is not recomended.

7 - Now she can turn it off and give it a quick wash & wax.

THIS IS A JOKE AND IS NOT MENT IN ANY WAY TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

I only give a little throttle if it's sat for a while, and only one quick blip. Then I hold in the decomp lever and kick through twice, release decomp lever kick through slow till it stops, return kick to start position and kick once hard all the way through and it fires right up.

I just got a (new to me) '02 WR426F also. I had a [@#$%&*!] of a time starting it dead cold until I tried the "quick blip, two kicks with the decomp lever pulled in, and then going to and just past TDC and then kicking over." Fires right up. Must be something with the jetting and the YZ timing set up the bike came with. Glad I read your post.

No problem when it's hot either. Then it's only one kick.

Like everyone else, I was very concerned about starting based onw hat I read. It was near impossible the first few times until I got the procedure down. One quick blip on the throttle ONLY WHEN COLD and it starts on the 1st kick 85% of the time. 2nd or 3rd the rest fo the time. When warm or been running that day a one kick bike. No problems at all. Just keep your hand off the throttle when warm.

• 3 years later...
I had no issues starting my WR400 once I had the drill down.

1) kick until you get some compression at TDC (one or 2 kicks)

2) pull in the decompression lever and put about a 1/4 kicks distance into the kick starter

3) release the decompression lever, and let the kick starter return to it's normal position

4) kick it once more and it fires up.

'00 in Calgary

Spot on cheers worked first time cold with one twist of throttle first (read throttle bit somewhere else on here). Then almost everytime when hot with no throttle. I've just got my wr400 and I thought starting it would be an issue as it was with my XR250 standing on the peg giving it my all :banghead: But the wr standing on the floor no problem many thanx :busted: