'05 bikes on Transworld

The 2005 Yamahas are on the Transworld site. As expected, aluminum frame for the 2 strokes but not the thumpers. For the most part, it looks a "bold new graphics" year for four strokes. Sounds like they tried to make the 450 motor a little smoother and CRFish .

Also looks like the lineup gets some other goodies like CR style brake routing and Renthal bars.

Here's the TWMX link.

sounds like more than bng to me. I know everyone was looking for the new frame

Several features are shared on all the full-size models, including:

YZ bend Renthal 790 aluminum bars.

Improved front brake cable routing.

The weight of the rear swingarm has been reduced by a claimed 1.1 pounds by increasing the arm diameter from 37mm to 42mm. With stronger extruded and hydro formed arms, the weight of the cast aluminum center section has been reduced.

The rear brake bracket has been redesigned for weight reduction and for easier wheel installation.

All the full-size models also receive a fork with a new design that separates the oil and air, and features a chrome surface with Kashima Coat on the lower legs for reduced friction.

A full rebound oil lock system provides more controlled damping at beginning stroke of rear suspension, and prevents top-out.

You'll also find a variety of smaller items, everything from making fasteners similar (and reducing the number of Allen and Phillips head bolts), an improved plastic material (to substantially minimize the milky white flex marks), to reshaping the sprockets to improve chain life.

For '05, the goals were to smooth the power delivery of the big-bore thumper, as well as improve comfort and handling.

Like the 250F, the 450 got a new cylinder head with a redesigned combustion chamber, as well as a redesigned intake port and new air cleaner boot. It also gets a new clutch assembly, improved carb settings, and a modified shifting mechanism.

It is a "low" 966 bend. They raised the fork height by 12mm last year, and the 790 bend gives you the same 'feel' as the 966 or (McGrath) bend Renthal 7/8" bar.

If you had a 966 on your 2002 or 2003 bike, then a 790 is what you will need on teh 2005. ?

sounds like more than bng to me. I know everyone was looking for the new frame

Several features are shared on all the full-size models, including:

YZ bend Renthal 790 aluminum bars.

Improved front brake cable routing.

The weight of the rear swingarm has been reduced by a claimed 1.1 pounds by increasing the arm diameter from 37mm to 42mm. With stronger extruded and hydro formed arms, the weight of the cast aluminum center section has been reduced.

The rear brake bracket has been redesigned for weight reduction and for easier wheel installation.

All the full-size models also receive a fork with a new design that separates the oil and air, and features a chrome surface with Kashima Coat on the lower legs for reduced friction.

A full rebound oil lock system provides more controlled damping at beginning stroke of rear suspension, and prevents top-out.

You'll also find a variety of smaller items, everything from making fasteners similar (and reducing the number of Allen and Phillips head bolts), an improved plastic material (to substantially minimize the milky white flex marks), to reshaping the sprockets to improve chain life.

For '05, the goals were to smooth the power delivery of the big-bore thumper, as well as improve comfort and handling.

Like the 250F, the 450 got a new cylinder head with a redesigned combustion chamber, as well as a redesigned intake port and new air cleaner boot. It also gets a new clutch assembly, improved carb settings, and a modified shifting mechanism.

Well that's perfect now I dont have to wait till 9 for everything.

I noticed Transworld has pulled the article from their website. I bet they weren't supposed to release the information until 9:00 tonight. Somebody's in trouble...

David

The link in my original post still works, but the article no longer appears on Transworld's main page. ?

your right.. i may buy a 250 now lol after looking at the frame and it being so light.. Not sure about you guys but I have tried to go back and ride a 2 stroke and it is very awkward for me.. Ive been thumpers for a few years now and I jumped on a friends 04' kx 250.motor done ..susp ect and I honestly could not do a lap on the track.. i felt so out of place on it.. Any of you guys tried riding a 2 stroke after being on a thumper for a while? Tell me your thoughts.. either way Im buying getting a yz 450 or the 2 stroke 250 .. Im going nuts trying to figure this one out..

Not sure about you guys but I have tried to go back and ride a 2 stroke and it is very awkward for me.. Ive been thumpers for a few years now and I jumped on a friends 04' kx 250.motor done ..susp ect and I honestly could not do a lap on the track.. i felt so out of place on it.. Any of you guys tried riding a 2 stroke after being on a thumper for a while? Tell me your thoughts.. either way Im buying getting a yz 450 or the 2 stroke 250 .. Im going nuts trying to figure this one out..

I rode a friend's KX250 and I was the same way. I couldn't do anything on it. I had to remind myself what that lever on the left side of the handlebars is for. ?

After I sold my 426, I got to ride a RM250 and I had no trouble making it work for me. I am dead even on two and four strokes, so the bike that I get the best deal on is what will be in my garage. There is a local dealer selling 2003 left over 2-strokes brand new for a lot cheaper than you see used bikes, so I might just pick one of those up.

Yeah, they look great, but how much mud is gonna fill all those nooks and crannies in the frame? Looks like I'd have to strip it down to clean all the nasties out after riding

Well, I am happy to see some great modifications to the '05 450, but would there really be that much difference between the '03 and '04 models to make me run out and buy a new '05?

I was really hoping for an aluminum frame. Any news on the tranny? I have been so happy with the 4 speed, but I have read so many posts from TTers wanting a 5 speed. Hope they stayed with the 4 speed... it is awesome!!!!

John

I can ride 2t or4t both at about the same average speed but after owning yam 4t for 3 years i got onto every 2t or 4t i could beg a ride on.The only bike i rode that i liked was the 04 kx250 2 stroke.I sold the 450 and got the kx.Now all of the maintaince can be done by me and i dont have to drive to the dealer 1.5 hours drive away.2 stroke is also a lot cheaper to run although that was only one factor in my buying decision.Its build qualty and ease of maintenance is 50% better than yamaha.Now riding is fun again..