HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncmountainman

leaking gas tank!

9 posts in this topic

rode this weekend and thought i smelled gas but couldn't see any leakage.well after i got home still had a strong odor,so i took off the seat and the dang thing was leaking at the brass grommet w/screw that the rubber strap connects to! is there any fixing this or is it time to look for a different tank?(already tried playing around w/the screw and still leaked) seems kinda dumb the way they made it,could've just made a nipple that was part of the tank.

I dont know about repairing it but a epoxy type adhesive should be reisitant to fuel. If you cant repair it PM me and I will send you my stock tank for a good deal. :thumbsup:

Yeah, give tank repair a try. Here's my tank repair in action:

8.jpg

Don't mess around. Just buy a new tank.

holy crap!!! what kinda bike is the burning? GEESE! believe it or not I'd try some JB weld quick bond. I used it on my old 1984 TT600 gas tank and it worked great!!!

That's a WR426 repaired with JB Weld. I spoke with the tank manufacturer and he said it is not possible to repair the tanks.

I remember everyone talking about this after your bike spontaneously combusted. For the price of these bikes, I'd never put a repaired tank on one. It's just not worth it.

I don't know how old your bike is but I'd contact Yamaha USA or just buy a new, aftermarket tank.

Wow! JB worked just fine for me.

That's a WR426 repaired with JB Weld. I spoke with the tank manufacturer and he said it is not possible to repair the tanks.

I bought a wr a few months ago a the fella convienently failed to inform me it was riden off a mountain.(resulting in 11 differnt cracks in the tank. I used a plastic welding kit to heat the plastic and smear it around. it seems to have worked fine but after seeing daves bike flameing I may consider replacing it.

yah,i've decided just to get a new ims 2.8 gal. it retains stock seat and just needs yz shrouds(anyone have any cheap?) i really hate spending money on something that was just plain faulty,but watchagonnado!