Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yamaboy233

Auto Clutch

24 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 WR450 and I was thinking about getting an auto clutch. I here alot of good information about them. I race GNCC's and alot of local events. And I just wondered if anybody raced with them and what there likes and dislikes are. And what is the best brand. And does anybody have one for sale? Any information would be great.

I have a z-start auto clutch and it is awesome especially in woods riding I never kill my bike in the woods since I got the auto clutch. I have had no complaints about the z-start and I think it is the cheapest it ran about $400

:thumbsup:

Yeah buddy! :thumbsup: I ride mostly tight woods and stalling the blue beast was always a problem. I put a Rekluse in mine and it has made a night and day diffrence in the way I ride you shift about half as much, I just can't say enough. I did spring for the kit that retains the clutch lever and after riding the bike I wish I had just taken it off. So now its gathering dust. Serriously worth the money

It's perfect, especially on those nasty technical uphills. All I can say is, you won't be dissapointed. If you can, find someone close to you that has one (any bike) and get them to let you try it out. :thumbsup:

I haven't sprung for one yet but a couple of my friends have them and swear buy them. It will probably be my next big purchase.

What class do you race? I have the same bike and run Open B in gncc. #123

Whats it like on a hill that you need to clutch it a little more to get going of you lost some speed?

The only time I wished that I had retained the clutch lever would have been on the dunes. On those big, long, uphill climbs it would have been nice to have the lever just to get the engine back up into the peaks revs. In the woods, however, I haven't missed it a bit.

Fifteen months now and I've never looked back. :thumbsup:

I have seen those Dunes Dave is talking about and they are steep power robbing long SOB's. Check out some of his video clips! :thumbsup:

I have been thinking of getting a Recluse but I wanted to keep the lever operational for tough single track uphills to keep from looping out without chopping the throttle and loosing momentum.A buddy of mine has one on his KTM 300 and he loves it.I like the price of the Recluse as well and it can be chamged back to stock easily.

I have been thinking of getting a Recluse but I wanted to keep the lever operational for tough single track uphills to keep from looping out without chopping the throttle and loosing momentum.

save your money, you dont need that lever. you will approach these sections in a different way. everything is way easier and you always have the power you want. :thumbsup:

If you think you want a lever send me 25$ and I'll send you the kit that I bought with my Rekluse. I found out I didn't want the lever after about 30 min of riding. I wouldn't be afraid of the Rekluse clutch. The company is tops as far as I'm concerned. Like most things from Idaho :thumbsup:

It's perfect, especially on those nasty technical uphills. All I can say is, you won't be dissapointed. If you can, find someone close to you that has one (any bike) and get them to let you try it out. :thumbsup:

I will second that, its makes the bike completly managable in the technicla stuff. Frees you to think more on your approach and stops the worry of stalling period.

Zstart All the way :awww:

with the z-start is it possible to set the idle high (say 2000 rpm) and set the clutch at 1500 so that it would creep if you came to a stop,and retained the clutch lever so as to use it conventionally. it still would not stall on a technical uphill because its still set above the stall rpm of the bike? or would it not disengage if the the clutch is still loaded? basically what i'm asking is would it work as a regular clutch until such load (below the idle speed)presented itself then would it slip?

I'm thinking that it would work.. kinda. you could set the clutch so that it would creep at idle and use the lever to unlock the clutch but the zstart wouldn't be all the way in at that engine speed so it should still give you the slipping action. I am curious why you would want to set it up that way??? :thumbsup:

well i kinda like to use my clutch (been using one for near 30 years now) but i also don't like how easy this bike stalls.now i've been through the "it must be your riding style" crap and its not. of all the big bore bikes i've ever rode this one just happens that way. i've changed gearing to 13-52,got the power now,turned up the idle,but just at the wrong time it will stall.not often but enough to aggrevate a fella.i'm thinkin that the short stroke and high compression are the culprits(can't change that to easy)i've searched the world over for flywheel weight; nothin there. so the set up i'm describing might be the way out!retain the stock use of the clutch and hopefully somewhere between idle and stall this thing would save the day? and more than likely it would add some spun weight?

I think you're making this way more complicated than it really is!

Simply retain the clutch lever and set the idle to a normal idle speed. You will still be able to override the z-start with the clutch lever (although I think you're going to find you'll never use it again) and it won't stall. You don't need to deal with adjusting the idle up or down because with the z-start installed it simply won't stall.

We can go around and around with this but eventually, you're going to just have to take everyone's word for it and give it a try. I really wish you had someone near you with one for you to try. :thumbsup:

will it work the way i described??? because if it won't i don't want it! i don't like automatic cars(although easier to drive)and i sure as heck don't want a semi automatic dirtbike(i'm guessing it would be like an atv setup)ya ya drive one i totally understand how it would be. if there is someone outthere that still has their clutch lever could you please try it for me and let me know. i'm not trying to go round and round just trying to get a ? answered

I think that it will work the way that you want but the best thing to do would be to call Rekluse and describe what you want to do. They will be able to tell you. As far as stalling I was right there with you we ride tight trails and I was always stalling the bike. I tried diffrent flywheel weights that helped but it didn't solve the problem. The z-start did, I have stalled the bike maybe twice since I put it on and both times it was the nut behind the bars fault.

will it work the way i described??? because if it won't i don't want it! i don't like automatic cars(although easier to drive)and i sure as heck don't want a semi automatic dirtbike(i'm guessing it would be like an atv setup)ya ya drive one i totally understand how it would be. if there is someone outthere that still has their clutch lever could you please try it for me and let me know. i'm not trying to go round and round just trying to get a ? answered

One thing is

It dont shift for you, so your analogy of auto dirt bikes is wrong. Yes it would work as you stated. Thats the great thing about the clutch, you can establish the install gap to your liking and then adjust it further with the springs. Just be forwarned, clutch drag will cause hotter temps :thumbsup: