HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
idaho426

Black marks on white plastic?

13 posts in this topic

How do I get the black streaks off of my side panels? I think that they are from my boots. I clean my bike with simple green and it does a hell of a job on everything but that. :)

I have found that a hard-bristled scrub brush with simple green works if you scrub and scrub and scrub... but you can also wet-sand it out. After you wet sand it, spray a quick coat of clear coat on it and it looks like new!

I use acetone. It comes right off, no work what so ever. Naptha works to and isnt so aggressive.

Gasoline.........

Carb cleaner........

Beer..........no never mind that is another story!! :)

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:

Where's Ego with that flamethrower??!! :)

I wouldn't recommend the flamethrower after the WD-40 or gasoline.

I HAVE USED A PRODUCT FOR YEARS CALLED GEL-GLOSS. IT COMES IN EITHER SPRAY OR LIQUID IN QT CAN. ORIGINALLY DESIGNED FOR CLEANING CULTURED MARBLE OR FIBERGLASS. IT REMOVES MOST MARKS WITH LITTLE EFFORT AND DOESNT REDUCE THE SHINE OF FRESH PLASTIC. ITS AVIALABLE AT MOST HARDWARE OR PLUNBING STORES.

Soft Scrub, keeps the whites pearly white and also has a nice lemon scent!!! :D:)

Im a Soft Scrub /w bleech guy. Works great.

Also Try Mop & Glo once the bike is clean to bring some of the shine back into the plastic. Works great.

The wetsanding and clearcoat trick is amazing! acarter920 is right...You can restore plastic back to that new looking, never seen a ride, kind of shine. Ive done this several times on my stock and aftermarket plastic and it works great. Just be careful to clean the plastic with some acetone or some paint-prep type surface cleaner after sanding but before clear coating. I usually do three light coats, letting the part dry and knocking off any high spots or drips or orange peel with some 800 grit paper. Give it a try before you buy new plastic...it takes some time and patience, but it really does work...My riding buddies are all doing now after seeing my bike come back to the track looking new after a plastic gouging/scratching crash the week before. Sorry its a little off the subject, but i figured id chime in...oh yea..a small hand-held electric sander works great.

Mike