HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MXof21

Front Wheel Bearings

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why Yamaha uses sealed wheel bearing for the rear wheel and open ball bearings on the front?

It makes no freakin sense. My front bearings went out a while back too. Those suckers were bad !!!! I lubed them up really well and within 6 months toast.

Fryboy

Does anyone know why Yamaha uses sealed wheel bearing for the rear wheel and open ball bearings on the front?

It makes no freakin sense. My front bearings went out a while back too. Those suckers were bad !!!! I lubed them up really well and within 6 months toast.

Fryboy

Do you guys ride in the water a lot? I'm on the stock front bearings on my 01', and almost zero riding in water for me. Regreased the front once, replaced the rear once. When I replaced the rear they were getting loose, I pulled the dust covers and they were still full of grease.

Fryboy

Do you guys ride in the water a lot? I'm on the stock front bearings on my 01', and almost zero riding in water for me. Regreased the front once, replaced the rear once. When I replaced the rear they were getting loose, I pulled the dust covers and they were still full of grease.

Yes I ride through creek crossings regularly. I had to drive my bike through rivers at an enduro last year. I think that is what did them in.

Fryboy

I have the SAME factory bearings in my 99 YZ400F it came with. I service the wheel bearings everytime I pull the wheel off the bike for any reason. They are still as smooth as they were on day one.

Same thing for my 02 YZ426F.

Regular and routine maintenance makes a big difference.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

I agree, the bearings can be cleaned an regreased and they last a long time. I was servicing mine and wondered why the bearings were open on the front and sealed on the back.