HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guidster

Scotts Steering Dampner

12 posts in this topic

Ok, before I shell out the dough, I would like the opinion of the group about this spendy little item. In theory it makes perfect sense, but in practice, does it really work and is it effective?

Thanks

I've had one on my last 3 bikes including my 426. Wouldn't ride without it if given the choice. Saved my but from crashing a few times.

What kind of riding do you do?

If you do ANY offroading at all you will appreciate it the first time you get crossed up in a rut or clobber one of those BIG NASTIES buried all but 2 inches in the ground!

and they are awesome in the rocky stuff!

3 THUMBS up from TRH :)

Cant even beging to count the # of bars I have saved myself from buying! :D

YES, very very worth it...like anyone else, would never ride without one again given the choice.

Dodger :):D

Guidster,

I installed one and ran with it for about a year, then removed it and sold it.

Loved the confidence that it gave me especially when moving really fast in the straights. I'm sure it saved my butt a few times.

However, it causes the bike to push when attempting to make tight-snappy turns. It's also harder to keep your balance when you need to go really slow or just stand still, like when doing trial type activities.

Keep in mind that you’re affecting a hinge point on the bike.

The option of course is to dial it in for whatever trail or track you're on.

Nirvana would be a steering damper that was connected to a speedo cable.

So they are not for everyone, (hence you'll never see them in a SuperCross race) but they are definitely needed by quite a few riders, which is also why so many will swear by them.

DaveJ

Have one on my '00. The damper , a Stealy +12 oz. flywheel, BK mod, 1 tooth less on the front and some suspension work have made my YZ into a great trail bike. Would be hard pressed to give back any of them. My opinion (for trail riding at least) - get the damper. :)

I was having the same feeling as DaveJ described. I was in the area and stopped by Scotts one day. They explained how the valving in the little gold wonder works. The more low speed damping, the less high speed damping and vice versa. I thought I needed lots low speed damping in the slower sand washes, I was wrong. I backed it off 2 full turns and it works like a champ. It is still doing it's job in the slow stuff, but I don't ever notice it in the tight stuff.

I have another question to go along with yours. Can you turn the damper down or off when you want to ride on a track so you don't have to fight it in corners?

Originally posted by Echo1101:

I have another question to go along with yours. Can you turn the damper down or off when you want to ride on a track so you don't have to fight it in corners?

On the Scott's/Ohlins you can turn off the low speed circuit very easily.

You can also adjust the high speed circuit, although I believe they recommend against that.

Remove two allen head 6mm bolts and you can take the damper off completely...

I don't ride motocross, but at a reasonable setting the Scott's damper doesn't "fight" anything. It is rare, but on occasion off road guys have to turn sharp too...

Originally posted by Echo1101:

If you are fighting it in corners, it is adjusted wrong. When adjusted properly you won't know it is there until you need it.

Thanks for the info. I've wanted to buy one for awhile now but didn't know anyone that had experience with them. I was just afraid that I wouldn't be able to adjust between desert and the track. You see, my problem is that I normally turn too fast and end up on my face!!

Thanks for the info, guys. I had one shipped out overnight and installed it last night. I can't wait to try it out at practice tomorrow and in a CC race on Sunday. I will let you know.....