HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deputydog

Spark Plug Tool

6 posts in this topic

I just bought a 2001 YZ426. The guy I bought it from didn't have the spark plug tool, spoke tool, or the owner's manual. I tracked down an owner's manual but need the spark plug tool and the spoke tool. Other than the dealer, is there any place I can find those tools?

A wobbler and 6" extension work just fine for accessing the spark plug. Use a spark plug socket with a rubber insert to "grab" the spark plug. Otherwise you might need some fuel line or something else to get the thing out.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

I do the same thing. Visit Sears and get a socket with the rubber insert (I had to add some tape to mine to make it tight enough to hold this tiny plug) and get one of those wobbler extensions. Works like a dream. I got a spoke wrench at the local bike shop for I think about $5.

Man, I didn't get the tools either. I had a spoke wrench, but trying to get the plug in with a sparkplug socket and an extention is a pain. I actually messed up the gap in a plug trying to get it in. I had to stick the plug in, put the socket in, put the extention on then put a wrench on it just enough to turn it(frame in the way). I bent the plug gap pushing the extention onto the socket.

Originally posted by FASTFRANK:

all you got to do is stick the spark plug wire back in there just enough to fit over the head of the plug and you can pull it right out.

Why didn't I think of that? Great idea!

I agree with the wobbly and spark plug socket but once loose if the socket won't grab it all you got to do is stick the spark plug wire back in there just enough to fit over the head of the plug and you can pull it right out. I can't think of how many times I tried to pull it out with my one finger and fingernail till I thought about the spark plug wire!! LOL Frank :)