GYT-R Large Capacity Gas Tank for 2003 WR450F

Does anyone have any first hand experience with a 3.2-3.4 gallon tank that has been mentioned previously on this forum as available from Yamaha Corp as part of their GYT-R Accessories Line? I've looked on the Yamaha GYT-R web site and I do not see any tanks available for any year YZ450F or WR450F. The parts guy at the Yamaha store told me that I'm the first person to ever ask about such a tank and that he was not aware that such a tank was available. Is this mysterious gas tank that has been mentioned as an alternative to the IMS or Zip/Ty large capacity tanks for real or just a cruel rumor started by someone who enjoys watching us ride with 1 gallon bleach bottles full of gasoline on our tool belts? ?

it's strange your parts guy isn't aware of the gytr parts available. yamaha prints a very complete catalog with all sorts of stuff. the tank is for real. i'd be suprised if you couldn't find a lot of info by doing a search in this forum. one little thing stuck in my head from all the disscusion; the ims/zip ty tank doesn't allow the use of radiator braces (not guards, braces) and the gytr/acerbis does. at least that's what has been reported.

Here are the part numbers.You will have to run the yz shrouds.

3.4 Gallon Tank, Blue - Fits '03-'04 YZ250F/450F

(Will also fit WR250F/450F if GYT-5TA31-00-RB YZ Radiator Shrouds are u sed) GYT-5TA24-00-RB $245.95

3.4 Gallon Tank, Translucent - Fits '03-'04 YZ250F/450F

(Will also fit WR250F/450F if GYT-5TA31-00-RB YZ Radiator Shrouds are u sed) GYT-5TA24-00-CL $245.95

?

I have installed the blue Acerbis 3.4 gallon tank and really like it. I heard that it is the same as the GYT-R tank. The tank requires YZ shrouds and I used the Acerbis graphics, which look good but do not fit perfectly on some edges of the shrouds. I was also able to use my "Works Connection" radiator braces (required a few minor cuts out of the shrouds). Although the tank has a "bubble" and top-heavy look to it, I have found bike handling to be just fine (and I've gotten used to the looks). Also, it has dual petcocks which allows for full fuel use. I give it a thumbs up, especially if you need extra range ?

Thanks The Blue One for the part numbers. Nice pictures Bajabunk. I couldn't see a fuel line in the picture of the right-hand side of the tank. Is it somewhere on the underside of the right-hand side tank? Thanks Powayrider for the testimonial.

Now, would a knowledgeable someone/anyone care to summarize all of the various opinions about large capacity fuel tanks into one easy to follow discussion? Whoever can do this will be doing all of us a great favor.

Let's consider some previous comments from other discussions on this forum. "IMS and Zip/Ty are the same tank". "Acerbis and GYT-R are the same tank". "IMS quality is poor". "Had to cut "things" to make shrouds fit". "Acerbis tanks are too tall". "Acerbis tanks hold the most fuel". "IMS tanks carry fuel lower than Acerbis tanks". "IMS tanks have bad right side petcock location, tank can melt". "Zip/Ty tanks don't hold as much fuel as IMS tanks." Etc., and etc.

So, let's take this one issue at a time. Are the supposed twins really identical? For example:

Are both the IMS and Zip/Ty tanks identical in every regard; same shape, dual petcocks identically located, and carry the same volume of fuel?

Are both the Acerbis and GYT-R tanks identical in every regard; same shape, dual petcocks identically located, and carry the same volume of fuel?

Is there a safety issue with the IMS petcock location and does the Zip/Ty tank have the same issue?

How much fuel will each of the tanks hold?

Which tanks require YZ Radiator Shrouds?

Which tanks require no cutting of new Radiator Shrouds?

Which tanks will accommodate a WR seat?

Which tank or tank twins are the lowest and narrowest?

Which tank or tank twins provides for the most comfortable riding position?

Which tanks will accommodate a Devol Radiator Guard (guard not brace)?

How much do each of the tanks cost?

Does anyone want to add to my list of questions?

I have the GYT-R 3.4 gallon tank and here is what I can add to your questions:

3.4 gallon actual!

YZ shrouds needed

stock WR seat

Tank is the highest but no wider than stock

I dont notice a change in riding postion and I can move forward so my knees are on the shrouds ( but I cant sit on the gas cap like some guys say they do with the stocker? :awww:)

I use Devol guards without mods and Works connection braces with a mod to the right side brace only.

$245.00 first rate quality kit and it drains completely without having to wheelie to the left!

I was thinking of switching back and forth from the stock tank when I ordered it but since I have had it on for 3 months now it has never come off! ?

It must just be the angle of the picture because it doesn't run that close to the exhaust at all. It actually runs closer to the cylinder than anything. As you can see I put an insulated wrap over the line and have not had any problems with it getting hot or melting. One thing that I really like about it is that you can run each side of the tank seperately. Its kind of like having a double reserve.

The IMS and Zip-Tye tanks are not alike. The zip tye carries the fuel down lower than the IMS tank. IMS make the tank, but only Zip-Tye can see it. Thats part of the patient. No access to spark plug with Zip-Tye and getting to carb for ajustments is dam hard if not impossible as well. I see a lot of both racing desert and cross country races out west here and in Baja.

Are both the Acerbis and GYT-R tanks identical in every regard; same shape, dual petcocks identically located, and carry the same volume of fuel?

My GYT-R tank had Acerbis packaging and came with GYT-R and Acerbis stickers.......can't answer most of the rest of your q's, but it did take ~3.4 gallons when I filled it the 1st time.

It will accommodate WR or YZ seats, and requires YZ shrouds. You can also retrofit a dry-break receiver.