SHOULD I BUY IT??

Hey. I currently own a 2002 raptor 660r. It is sooo bad. But I am going to get into dirt bikes also. I found a 1998 Yz400 with aftermarket shocks, and a Big Gun exhaust( and many other extras ). I can get it for $2,000. It is in perfect shape for a beginning bike. Please tell me if this bike is a good bike, and please tell me everything that is wrong with it. If you have any other USED bike suggestions please let me know also. ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, go for it! As long as everything is in good shape and it runs good. The Yz400's are usually never below $2500, that is a great price. As far as info on other used bikes to buy, you could buy mine! Lol.

The 400's are basically a not as powerful version of the 426. They are a little heavier and the suspension is not quite up to par with the 426's, but they are still great bikes. So I'd say go for it!

Originally posted by acarter920:

The 400's are basically a not as powerful version of the 426. They are a little heavier and the suspension is not quite up to par with the 426's, but they are still great bikes. So I'd say go for it!

Actually, peak power is pretty much the same. The 426 just has a fatter power band. Weight is also almost the same (the 400 might even be lighter than the early 426). Either way the weight difference is negligible..

I'd be more concerned with it having aftermarket "shocks", as it only came with one. Adding another would just be silly. About as silly as owning quad (BTW, here, quads should be referred to by their scientific name-Golf Cart)

?

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: fastkevin ]

Be very careful before making this purchase. Yes it sounds like a good deal. Rememeber though, sometimes you get exactly what you pay for. If you aren't familiar with dirt bikes, I suggest that you get a knowledgeable friend to check it out for you. For example, if the bushings are wiped out, it needs a top end, chain and sprockets are worn and a fork seal or shock seal is leaking, you will spend far more than what you might pay for a clean well maintained '98 model. Don't worry that the 400 is no longer a current model. If you are just starting on bikes it will have far more capability than you. At least for several months to years.

Thanks guys for all the help. The only thing that me and my dad could see wrong with it, is that the plastics are faded(its been sitting outside for a long time) and that the hand guards are busted. The Renthal fatt bars are clean(no bends) exhaust has few scratches on it. Chain and sprocket wear is normal(for a 1998 model) and thats about it. Me and my dad have looked over it prety good (he's been riding dirt bikes for 20 years) so I think I might buy it. Thanks for the replies.

To the user FASTKEVIN who posted that quads are "golf carts". UHHH ? Me and my raptor have raced many yz 426's and other thumpers, and beat them hands down every time. In the straight-aways, on the trail, and in the woods. I don't mean to start a fight here, but don't diss the Raptor.

Originally posted by Big_Al_660R:

To the user FASTKEVIN who posted that quads are "golf carts". UHHH :D Me and my raptor have raced many yz 426's and other thumpers, and beat them hands down every time. In the straight-aways, on the trail, and in the woods. I don't mean to start a fight here, but don't diss the Raptor.

Sure Al..

Here's a link for you: http://www.wheels4tots.com/info.htm

They'll make you feel more at home on your new 400

Say it.. SAAAAYYYYY IT!! G-O-L-F C-A-R-T ?

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: fastkevin ]

I have ridden the Raptor and own a YZ426 and the YZ is much faster. Drag race a YZ with your Raptor and your going to get a face full of dirt. Quads use DE-TUNED motorcycle engines. Many quad riders are complete morons who ride liquored up with no helmets. Thats why quads have that stupid thumb throttle as the typical quad owner can't figure out a twist throttle. The quad manufacturers had to change the throttle because the idiots riding them were slamming into things because they didn't know rolling the trottle forward slows it down. You may be an exception to the rule, maybe.

Originally posted by oldasdirt:

Is it an MZ if so do it. Yamaha needs their butts beat for not putting that motor in a chassis for say a TT type bike they sell it to an East German company that's been using it for 6 or 7 years. just my $.02 oldasdirt ?:D

Yo Dirt

The wall was torn down in '89. There ain't no East Germany no mo'

MZ has an Italian company build the motors under license from Yamaha.

Also, Yamaha has been using the motor (XTZ 660) in their SZR 660, and (for a while at least) their dual sport XTZ 660

:D

The Japanese feel that the American market wouldn't support their single cylinder sport bikes, so they don't bring 'em over. If MZ (Motorrad NA) knew anything about marketing (and didn't intitially price the Skorpion at $7k), we might have seen these bikes kinda catch on.

With Super Motard taking off(and companies getting involved that know what they're doing), good things may be forthcoming..

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: fastkevin ]

Originally posted by Big_Al_660R:

Like I said...I have beaten many four-stroke dirt bikes BY A MILE. But my Raptor has been COMPLETELY turned around by Trinity Racing. ?

So what you're saying is, the Raptor golf cart is much faster in reverse?

Is it tough to see through/around your golf bags?

Does the Marshall get pissed at you flying around the fairways backwards?

Big_Al

Resistance is futile. The more you defend your quad/golfcart/lawnmower, the more people will dog you for it. 4wheelers are pretty much considered like mopeds and fat chicks here (maybe fun to ride if no one see's ya with them). Best to just let it drop.

Just for the record, I have never owned one. But I did ride one, once.

Go ahead and brag about your little dirt bikes. My raptor has 80+h.p. So dirt bikes have no chance at it. I'm not resisting...I'm just telling you that a yz426 cannot beat my raptor. You know I really wanted a dirt bike, but I don't wanna be a cocky jerk like some of you guys are. I'm just a 16 year old with an awesome, fast, and good-looking quad. I'm not a jerk, and I'm not mean(unlike you guys). You have just turned me away from the sport of dirt biking. Thanks alot for nothing.