HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freestyle111

i might have found solution to sound issue

9 posts in this topic

i repacked silencer today and i would estimate 5db lower than it usually is after being freshly packed.today when i was on my way to go buy packing i decided to try something a little different.i remembered one of mechanics from peninsula kawasaki used to pack my silencer with steel wool he said "it was his secret weapon".at the time i was only about 14 so that was good enough answer for me.so instead of going to cyclegear for packing i went to home depot and bought steelwool x00 the finest stuff they had.i then packed silencer same as i would with normal packing.when i fired bike up i couldnt believe how much quieter bike was.it also sounds different more of a hollow thump like old school thumper.bike runs same no power loss.the only thing is exhaust smells funny and smokes after i shut bike off like steelwool is smoldering.im just wondering how long steelwool will last compared to fiberglass packing.

freestyle wrote: "the only thing is exhaust smells funny and smokes after i shut bike off like steelwool is smoldering.im just wondering how long steelwool will last compared to fiberglass packing."

Yznvegas: Well, based on the whole smoldering part, I don't think it is going to last all that long. :)

it really only smoldered the first time i shut bike off.im going to do some riding after work tommorrow.i give update when i get home.

Yep, mine had SS wool in it stock. When I repacked it and replaced the SS wool, I used SS scouring pads (without the soap of course!) from wal-mart, and then wrapped that with external exhaust wrap, and wired it as tight as I could. Sounds stock and lasts a long time.

That stuff burns.

If you don't believe me touch a piece of it to a 9 volt battery and see what happens.

You need the stainless steel wool.

KC

im going to go get some ss steelwool tommorrow.this was only an experiment.does anyone use ss steelwool for packing?does it last as long as regular packing?

get a 400exc silencer and put it on your yamaha ,then youll have the same power and a much much quieter bike. I know a few people that have done this,it really isnt that much work.