HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
w_ahhh450

starter trouble

6 posts in this topic

I have trouble starting my '03 wr450 sometimes , mostly on steep hills?

If it stalls and i pull the clutch lever in and push the go button it tries to start but doesn't turn over and if I go to kick the thing the kickstarter is rock solid?

But if I keep on pushin' the button it will finally wind over OK.

Any ideas, local Yamaha dealer doesn't want to know about it unless the starter totals it's self.With the amount of trouble the starters have had worldwide they should recall '03 wr450's and fix the problem.If I have to spend $500.00 fixing the problem myself I'll put it toward a new Husky or KTM.

Are you using your hot start? Everything sounds normal to me otherwise. Proper jetting will fix this issue. :thumbsup:

Try it in neutral. If it turns over OK than you clutch needs adjusting :thumbsup:

I think it is the auto decomp.I have the same trouble sometimes and rocking the bike back and forth abit always solves it. I don't think it's a problem with the bike.I think sometimes the cam stops and the auto decomp mechanism can't do it's job. :thumbsup:

I think it is the auto decomp.I have the same trouble sometimes and rocking the bike back and forth abit always solves it. I don't think it's a problem with the bike.I think sometimes the cam stops and the auto decomp mechanism can't do it's job. :thumbsup:

I think I got the same problem with the autodeco once with my '04 wr450.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jetting seems OK but I'll try to rock it in gear next time.

Tried starting in neutral also and with hot start.

It only seems to do it if I'm stuck in an awkward spot on the side of a hill? e.g legs,arms everywhere and in a

panic.