BRP Electric Start Kit Test

Went riding on Sunday the 6th on my BRP with the new Baja Designs E start kit. I gotta tell you guys that this thing never failed to start my BRP. All I did when I wanted to start it was pull in the De-comp lever for second then let go while pushing the happy ? button and she never failed to fire right up. I was thrilled to the point disgust for my own laziness. :awww:

Jeff

Very kool ?

Will it easily start your bike with your HotCam when you're not holding in the decomp lever? Can you start it multiple times this way or will that tax the battery too much?

Qadsan, even though all my parts won't be in til Thursday. Baja Designs called me and said with the hot cam or not it is a good idea to hold the manual decomp lever just when you first touch the button. He told me a statement to that effect will be included in all the new manuals.

Appearantly by simplifying the starter and not having a reduction gear it requires more energy to turn it over. If the motor is caught on the top of its compression stroke, it's a tremendous amount of resistance to overcome. By holding the decomp lever in for a brief moment just to let the starter motor overcome the intial resistance is all it needs.

i know i'm new to this board but what exactly is the need for a leccy boot? My BRP will start from cold in the morning with frost on the ground second time everytime.

I just dont really see the need for all the extra weight just to save wasting a tiny bit of energy

i know i'm new to this board but what exactly is the need for a leccy boot? My BRP will start from cold in the morning with frost on the ground second time everytime.

I just dont really see the need for all the extra weight just to save wasting a tiny bit of energy

We all agree that our XR650R's start quite easily unless you dump the bike with a stock carb. It will flood and does not start quickly once flooded. Most have gone to the Edelbrock carb to remedy that situation.

The purpose for having an electric start is when you get in tight situations like a open face ledge on a narrow trail, or a steep up hill climb which is rock and root infested or rutted and the bike stalls, or it stalls in a fast moving stream because you lost your balance and now are in water knee deep high. In these situations balancing the bike or holding it in position so it does not slide back down the hill and kicking it over can be quite a pain. And if it doesn't start first kick can be very stressful. It's nice to have an E-button to save you with very little effort or energy waste. A nice convenience that can make your day more pleasurable.

OMT you summed it up perfectly. I was on some very tight and precarious trails this last weekend and that happy button is a welcome thing when you are just exhasted from climbing up nasty rock and boulder infested single track. The E start for the BRP may not be for everyone but it is great that something like it is available if you want it. ?

Jeff

MotorPsychoSport, Baja Designs called me today and informed me that they are no longer going to be using that thin battery we have on the top of our air box. They are fabricating a traditional battery box which will bolt into place below the carb. This will hold a battery similar to the KTM RFS models. They will have longer amp hours. The problem they have run into with the drycell battery they are using is too many battery failures. They don't know why. Some of them last and work well but others do not. They will upgrade those of us who already bought the present system free of charge. It will be about 4 weeks before the new one is ready.

Like I said a while back in a thread I started about Baja Designs and this electric start kit of theirs, they will take care of us. The starter is very sound and the battery has been it's only weak point in some cases.

Three cheers for a honest company. ?

OMT

I'm looking forward to some more pictures of your installation when you get your parts back ?. I'd be real curious to see the new battery box as well once you get it. I wonder how long it will be before the item shows up on the baja web page. In the meantime I'm saving my pennies.....

OMT

I'm looking forward to some more pictures of your installation when you get your parts back ?. I'd be real curious to see the new battery box as well once you get it. I wonder how long it will be before the item shows up on the baja web page. In the meantime I'm saving my pennies.....

I will post some more pics on Friday after I get it done. Yes I am waiting for the new battery box as I think it will perfect the starting system. In the meantime they are sending me a second dry cell battery just in case the first one gives out. That is really nice of them since I didn't even ask for it. My first one may be fine. They just wanted to make sure I would be ok until the new mods are complete.