Any known 04 wr450 problems?

I,m looking to upgrade from my 01 wr400 to a 04 wr450 does any one know of any inherant problems with the 04 model like the 03 model had with the woodruff key

the only problem i have with my 04 is that you cant keep the front wheel on the ground for very long.

I've probably got 1500 miles on my '04 and have had zero problems with it. It appears the new starter design has taken care of the woodruff key problem. Great bike :thumbsup:

I asked around at all the dealers, and mechanics about this, and Yamaha fixed all the problems for the 04' I just got my 04' WR450 on Friday, but I have not had any problems with it so far!

just picked up an'04 last thurs.....love the e-start

take out the exhaust baffle for more grunt!

:thumbsup:

Only issue with the 04 for Australia is the JD jetting kit does not come with the bike. JD needles are a must! :thumbsup:

1600km /1000ml - zero problems...

the only problem i have with my 04 is that you cant keep the front wheel on the ground for very long.

I've only got 150 miles or so on mine and I've been noticing that front wheel problem happens more and more with every ride..

I went on a 270 mile loop yesterday and the Odometer reset knob fell off. That's my only complaint so far.

270 miles for one day!!! Dude you rock!

How much of the 270 miles did the bike do in the back of the pickup truck?

That beats my record of 162 miles in a day of dirt! Wow! :thumbsup: Very impressive! :awww:

About 220 was trail and 50 was pavement between trails.

Started at the Rainbow Trail Lutheran Camp trailhead between Texas Creek and Westcliffe. Went south on the Rainbow Trail to Medano Pass, crossed over into Great Sand Dunes National Park, took highway to Saquache(?), 4x4 trails to Poncha Pass, gas in Poncha Springs, Rainbow trail to the truck.

There must have been 70 creek crossings which includes up and across water falls in the trail. Too cool. :thumbsup:

Road the last 10 miles by the headlight on the WR. I had trouble seeing, but after 12 hours in the seat, it could have been my eyes losing focus.

Major monkey butt. :awww:

People said that Rainbow Trail South was paved. That couldn't have been further from the truth. Tough rocky trail made me decide that a Scott's Steering Dampener is my next purchase.

It was the toughest thing I have ever done on a dirt bike, best memory too.

I have just over 1200 Miles in Six Months. I just finished riding the Mystery 250 without a problem, except a sore butt. :awww: As far as maintenance this is one of best bikes on the market. :thumbsup: Before this bike I was always a Honda man, but I am now convince Yamaha has the edge for weekend riders like me. :lol:

I bought mine in November and have over 1700 miles on it. I have ridden this bike pretty hard doing lots of desert races and some pretty gnarly trails and have not had one problem to date.

That beats my record of 162 miles in a day of dirt! Wow! Very impressive!

My record is 540mi in one day.. Last year I did 508mi...

It's funny, someone mentioned the ODO know falling off.. YES!!! This is a good one... The little machine screw that holds on the little knob gets loose.. This needs to be checked.. All of you WR owners should check this before you ride again, I'll bet most of them are loose..

Dan

You must be made of iron Dan! :lol: I would pass out! :awww: Let's see :thumbsup: a 16 hour day with 2 hours of breaks and fill ups and averaging 40 mph in desert conditions will yield: 560 miles! Wow that would break me. :lol:

Indy, You could do it!!

I wish there was a 2 hour break. :thumbsup: I did 508mi in 10:57:57

The WR was PERFECT...... :awww: Zero problems...

Hey Dan,

Have you got that KTM modded out to work as well as the WR you had before for desert racing?

Hey Dan,

Have you got that KTM modded out to work as well as the WR you had before for desert racing?

Indy, good question.. The KTM 2 stroke is a great little bike but it's not my choice in the desert. I'm probably going to try it out at the Vegas 200 in October only because my 05 WR450 won't be here yet.. :thumbsup: Then next year I'll probably race the whole BITD series again on the WR... :awww: