HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
banffboy

Raising Forks?

11 posts in this topic

I ride mostly tight woods with some open stuff. How much do you guys raise your forks? What would be the maximum..10mm 15mm?

I moved mine up in the clamps about1/4 inch thats a 1/4 inch below the line in the top of the fork :thumbsup:

15mm is where mine is always. I do run a damper but I have no issues in sand or wide open riding as well. It really helps if you run less sag in the rear as well say about 3.6" instead of 4". :thumbsup:

I pulled mine up 10mm because I'm short :thumbsup:. The bike handles a lot quicker in the turns. I adjusted the sag to 100mm as well so the bike sits level. With too much stink bug effect, I had a tough time with headshake and it handled like crap in the sandy stuff.

Be careful how high you go as the tubes start to taper and the lower clamp will not grab the fork properly. Take a good look at the fork legs and you'll see where the start to narrow down.

If your are trying to lower the bike than you will have to add more sag to the rear spring 100mm is roughly the factory recommend setting with the forks at the stock height. It's not quite as simple as this, but if you move the forks up 15mm you need to add more sag to keep the bike even.

This will cause you to have a softer setting but will likely help make the bike less twichy and make the steering a little slower. Even without moving the forks you will notice steering changes by changing the sag. Less sag will jack-up the rear and make the steering quicker. More sag makes the rear lower and makes the steering slower.

sorry guys im fairly new to suspensions setups :thumbsup:, I just raised my forks to the maximum hight before the forks start to taper (about 20mm) and now if I was to change the sag to roughly 100mm im only changing the hight of the bike and not the overall handling? so in theory i just need to decrease the sag to about 90mm to bring the back end up, in turn putting more weight on the front?

You're right. I should have said that I actually did the fork mods before I set the sag to 100mm. Initially, mine only had about 80mm the way I got the bike.

Be careful about how far you raise the forks. You could bottom out the tire on the fender during a "G" out if you go too far. Someone told me the scribe marks in the forks are the limit markers, but not quite sure about that.

Increasing the rear sag also puts the shock into stiffer valving. My problem is I have short legs and when I ride in woods I want the bike lower. When I drop the forks and increase the rear sag to lower the shock gets harsh. If I raise the rear, to get plushness the bike is just too high. I'm gonna try a lighter rear spring with less sag, but I think I need a shorter suspension. that will cost money.

What are you trying to accomplish? If you're trying to lower the bike you need to make changes to both ends (just remember that raising the forks 15mm and a corresponding increase in sag will give you something less than that for total reduction in bike height which is really not the way to go for lowering a bike anyway).

The real reason to raise the forks is to change the steering geometry and make the bike steer quicker (and twitchier depending on several other factors) for tight trails and woods riding or just to satisfy personal taste. In this case you don't want a corresponding increase in sag 'cuz that would negate the effects of raising the forks. Also, as mentioned by someone else, the shock valving is designed for a certain range of sag so keep it there. LSS, don't mess with sag when raising your forks, don't increase sag out of the range it was designed for, and don't lower your bike by changing suspension levels on suspension that wasn't designed for being lowered. :thumbsup:

Doug