62bhp from my brp

You are right there...what does mud look like? So. Cal. NO mud.

Yeah, we have lots of mud up here in the Pacific Northwest. Here are a few random pics for you...

IMG_1444Resized.jpg

BD01Resized.jpg

BD04Resized.jpg

There is alot of tricks and you can get just about any reading you want out of a Dyno.

that is correct, if I wanted to, I could deliver a dyno readout of 100+hp on my bike, but that's pointless.

And also as mentioned before: high hp-nrs are only there to bragg about in the bar/pub/cafe.

I think a dyno is to be used, to see how the powercurve looks like on your bike, and tweak it accordingly.

The same bike with the same mods, can and will get a different dyno-reading when put on a different dyno-bank.

So the comparissants are slightly dishonest anyhow.

as soon as mr. quicksilver drops on my doormat, I'll take my bike to the dyno to get the best out of it, regardless of power or torque numbers

but that's just me,

grtz Ed (from Holland)

Perhaps if the dyno was setup for an 18" rear wheel and a 15" motard slick was put on, wouldn't that skew the torque measured and resulting horsepower result? If horsepower is being measured in terms of the delta-acceleration of a known mass, or even the delta-acceleration of a variable resistance, then a lower gearing should appear as higher horsepower unless compensated for with accurate wheel diameter measurements. That said, I have no idea how a typical dyno works, so flame away. :thumbsup:

horsepower is a function of torque and rpm so the gearing does not effect it (all things being equal) unless you spin as a result of lower gearing. That said, a smaller rear wheel will result in more power at the wheel due to the decreased rotating mass of the smaller wheel (assuming the wheel is of similar design). This is partially why all the rice on the road with 20's is so funny since they are slow to start with. As to longevity, generally two things wreck bottom ends, detonation and rpm. Given the same strength rod, a lower revving motor can make more hp before failure than a high revver. Many if not most failed connecting rods are due to the BIG END coming apart on the exhaust to intake stroke when it is unloaded. Revs are what kills bottom ends more than how much power an engine makes. Horsepower is calculated by (torque(ft/lbs)xRPM)/5252 for reference.