Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squad56

stock exhaust

5 posts in this topic

does anyone know if there is anything that could be done to the stock exhaust to open it up or something along those lines. or would it just be better to go and buy aftermarket? any input would be great.

The stock muffler is actually pretty good. If you want to do anything try replacing the header with an FMF Powerbomb. It makes a huge difference. I had this hookup when I smashed my header.

I ride at my own practice track and noise isn't a concern. I replaced the stock silencer with an FMF 14" Ti-4 and midpipe (left the stock head pipe). The bike has more throttle response and the power seems much smoother. This was a great mod.

I wonder if shortening the stock silencer would help power delivery? Look at the outdoor factory yamaha 's. The silencer doesn't even stick out form behind the side panels. Just a thought.

... Look at the outdoor factory yamaha 's. The silencer doesn't even stick out form behind the side panels. ...

Look closely, lots of them have the header wrapped a lot more around by the head (low-boy style). The overall length is the same, but more of the length is up by the head instead of sticking out the rear fender. This allows them to move the silencer down more under the side pannel.

when the head pipe is wrapped around the head more does it give you any more power?