Suspension mods for us short people.

Who here has had there bike shortened? Who did you have do it, and how many$$$ did it cost. I love this bike, and am going to keep it. But I'd like to be a little lower to the gound like on my cr125. It would make starting alot easier for me, and I'd feel alot more comfertable on technical trails.

What all would I have to do aside from rear shock, and front fork removal???

Please shed some light on this, not gonna get rid of the bike either :thumbsup:

I have the 2004 WR450F and found it was to high so the dealer lowered the rear shock a little to make it easier to use. It only took a hammer and a flathead screwdriver. :thumbsup:

I cut about 1 inch of foam out of the seat. I used a hacksaw blade, but understand an electric knife works better.

I lowered the subframe about 10mm. Take the lower bolts out and you can shove the subframe down some. I just elongated the holes. These two things added up to almost 2 inches at the seat.

I also installed Race Tech suspension which allows me to soften the shock a little without losing suspension quality. Another 1/2 inch here.

The down side was that I did all this with a worn out rear tire and was very pleased with the lowered height. However, I lost 3/4 inch when I put on a new tire!

I cut about 1 inch of foam out of the seat. I used a hacksaw blade, but understand an electric knife works better.

I lowered the subframe about 10mm. Take the lower bolts out and you can shove the subframe down some. I just elongated the holes. These two things added up to almost 2 inches at the seat.

I also installed Race Tech suspension which allows me to soften the shock a little without losing suspension quality. Another 1/2 inch here.

The down side was that I did all this with a worn out rear tire and was very pleased with the lowered height. However, I lost 3/4 inch when I put on a new tire!

Yups cut that seat.. I cut the seat of my Husky 2.25 inches and WOOW ! nice and comfy and still have that full travel on the front and back.. :thumbsup:

I bought a used wr400 that had been professionally lowered. I just got through putting the front back to stock and am doing the rear right now. I have aftermarket springs that are 2" shorter than stock I would be willing to part with. I also have a rear shock that has been shortened that I am changing out. Let me know. :thumbsup:

I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam and ride mostly tight trails. My wr450 also always felt too tall for me. I took my suspension to Devol (http://www.devolracing.com/suspension.htm) to get it lowered 2", revalved, and setup for my weight.

What a difference, it is a new bike. The top heavy feeling is gone and it corners remarkably better. I am amazed a the difference this made to the ride. They did a super job; I wish I had done it last year. It wasn't cheap ($450 for everything, I believe lowering alone is $250) but it was well worth the money. I am extremely pleased with the result. If you are frustrated with the height it is well worth looking into.