HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
450roost

YZ exhaust cam

8 posts in this topic

I have been riding with the replaced yz cam (oem) in my wr450 and like it. Is there a notacable diffrence between the hot cams and the OEM 's?

I replaced the exhaust cam, what would relacing the intake cam do?

Replacing the stock cams with the Hot Cams w/wakes up the mid and upper range significantly.

Hot Cams are Performance Cams, and the lift and duration is different.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

The Yamaha Tech CD shows the 03 YZ/WR450's do have the same intake cam but different exhaust cams.

I'm not 100% on the Hot Cams but I have heard that both intake and exhaust cams are different from the Yamaha cams (YZ and/or WR). I have also read somewhere here on TT that the Hot cams require thicker valve shims because they have smaller diameter lobes. Hope this helps.

Hot cams require thicker valve shims because they have smaller diameter lobes.

Our YZ/WR450 cams have the same base circle as the OEM cam. That is not to say that you wont have swap out some of the shims to get them to the right lash. Our 400/426 exhaust cams on the other hand, do have a smaller base circle then the OEM , and do require thicker shims.

Earlier it asked if we have different cams for the YZ then the WR. The answer to that is no, we only Make one set of cams for the 400/426, and one set for the 450, that is for both the YZ, and the WR. :thumbsup:

Hotcams tell me this, for a wr450 the yz cam gives you more mid and topend. I have heard from several riders that this is great for the track or sand or open areas but for trail riding it doesn't work as well as the wr cam. Is the Hotcam the same way? Do you lose some bottem end on the wr450's, And do you need to change both intake and exhaust?

I have heard from several riders that this is great for the track or sand or open areas but for trail riding it doesn't work as well as the wr cam. Is the Hotcam the same way? Do you lose some bottem end on the wr450's, And do you need to change both intake and exhaust?

Yes, the Hot Cams will act in a similar way to the YZ cam, you will loose some bottom end on the WR450. Our cams just have more midrange and top end then the YZ cams. Also they where designed as a set, and you wouldn't see a noticeable power gain by just installing one cam, in this case. :thumbsup:

Sorry there Hotcams, I was trying not to pass wrong info, just be helpful. I looked back but couldn't find the post where I read that part about the shims needing to be thicker :thumbsup:.