THAT was a close one!!

Being the awesome rider that I am (cough, cough) I thought I'd post some photos from our ride on Memorial Day. Found this gnarly little goat trail that used to be a circa 1930's mining road. We rode it for quite a while going from one abandoned mining area to another. The further we got down the drainage, the more scarce the trail became. It was washed out in several places and one of them got me! Well, almost. :lol: The old WR450 decided she wanted to go down instead of across and down she went! Almost ten feet and nearly straight down, just above the river! As she's sliding down (and I'm along for the slide) I'm looking at the river thinking 'Oh crap!!' and then she just stopped...parked right on the skid plate by the only rock on the bank! At this point, I couldn't go down (I could have, but I'd of sunk her and there was no way out on the other side and so the only option was up. UP?? I took off my helmet and just sat there. Now what? Well, being the dirtbike boyscout that I am (I pack everything in my fanny pack) I pulled out my tow strap and proceeded to tie off the bike. It took four of us (three on top and me on the bottom, in the creek) to get it back up the hill. I'll be honest...I was sure wishing I had a 125 two-smoke right about then! :awww:

Anyway, here's some photos for your amusement. :thumbsup:

In the drink...ALMOST!

What a bummer. Glad you were able to get it out. This happened to me last year when riding with Blackie up in American Fork canyon. The WR wanted to go down and I wanted to go up. Well, it went down more than 20 feet below the trail. But it was still 30 feet above the river. We sat there and contemplated on what to do. We tried to push (drag) it up for about an hour. Blackie took a break and rode down to see if the river came out at the trail, and it did. I finally decided to walk the WR down the steep hill to thr river and make my own trail through the brush and river rocks. This was hell but I made it out.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you wish it was a two smoke at that point and time. Nice pics.... :thumbsup:

Fook me Freddie, that was close! :thumbsup: Nice save and recovery. :awww:

I got to laugh at this one Dave. :thumbsup: I have been there in nasty mud and it takes 2 guys to get the bike out but up a steep drop like that I would have called for a helicopter lift. :lol: Isn't it amazing how the WR grows to an enormous 350 lbs when it is in need of rescue. :awww:

Being the awesome rider that I am (cough, cough) I thought I'd post some photos from our ride on Memorial Day. Found this gnarly little goat trail that used to be a circa 1930's mining road. We rode it for quite a while going from one abandoned mining area to another. The further we got down the drainage, the more scarce the trail became. It was washed out in several places and one of them got me! Well, almost. :lol: The old WR450 decided she wanted to go down instead of across and down she went! Almost ten feet and nearly straight down, just above the river! As she's sliding down (and I'm along for the slide) I'm looking at the river thinking 'Oh crap!!' and then she just stopped...parked right on the skid plate by the only rock on the bank! At this point, I couldn't go down (I could have, but I'd of sunk her and there was no way out on the other side and so the only option was up. UP?? I took off my helmet and just sat there. Now what? Well, being the dirtbike boyscout that I am (I pack everything in my fanny pack) I pulled out my tow strap and proceeded to tie off the bike. It took four of us (three on top and me on the bottom, in the creek) to get it back up the hill. I'll be honest...I was sure wishing I had a 125 two-smoke right about then! :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's some photos for your amusement. :lol:

In the drink...ALMOST!

Thanks for the laugh, bro... :awww:

eeeesh. close one....even me if you had a two smoke you would be cursing equally...climbing up there with a mountain bike would even have been a challenge...

faaaaaaaaark! U are braver than me, I would have sent the Wr to it's watery grave long before that little ledge. I can sympothise regarding the draging the bike out trick. My girlfriend took our TRX850 over a 45degree drop off, bailing out at the right time. The bike was written off 8 metres below the road. That was pretty hard to tow out, even with the help of a ute. having the frame and forks bent like banannas didnt help I guess.

R1 - where in the canyon did that happen?

We've been hitting AF every week for a month. Finally found one little single track loop that was ridable. Hopefully the snow will melt off this week?

That's what happens when you turn your back an she wants to go skinny dippin :thumbsup:

Bonzai :awww:

Glad you could get out of that !

Being the awesome rider that I am (cough, cough) I thought I'd post some photos from our ride on Memorial Day. Found this gnarly little goat trail that used to be a circa 1930's mining road. We rode it for quite a while going from one abandoned mining area to another. The further we got down the drainage, the more scarce the trail became. It was washed out in several places and one of them got me! Well, almost. :lol: The old WR450 decided she wanted to go down instead of across and down she went! Almost ten feet and nearly straight down, just above the river! As she's sliding down (and I'm along for the slide) I'm looking at the river thinking 'Oh crap!!' and then she just stopped...parked right on the skid plate by the only rock on the bank! At this point, I couldn't go down (I could have, but I'd of sunk her and there was no way out on the other side and so the only option was up. UP?? I took off my helmet and just sat there. Now what? Well, being the dirtbike boyscout that I am (I pack everything in my fanny pack) I pulled out my tow strap and proceeded to tie off the bike. It took four of us (three on top and me on the bottom, in the creek) to get it back up the hill. I'll be honest...I was sure wishing I had a 125 two-smoke right about then! :awww:

Anyway, here's some photos for your amusement. :thumbsup:

In the drink...ALMOST!

:lol:

Had a good laugh reading ur post.... anyway nice recovery and good that you're ok

That is just plain nasty. I am glad no one got hurt and you got your bike back. I guess those straps paid off.