HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pig_N_CR5hundy

Getting Valves done......

14 posts in this topic

10-4 on that. Pig that's an easy job. Why pay? You got a manual? I do mine every 1000miles and it's a breeze on the 650. Only thing that might make it hard on the 400 is the oil. However, both have the necessary site holes.

I actually have an offer from a great guy who is going to teach me to do them myself, which is what I prefer anyways, just never done it. 2 stroke is one thing, but I don't have a clue what the top end of a 4 stroke looks like............looks like schools in session.

I got a name you DON'T want to use... :thumbsup: ...he's local in S.D. :awww:

I too am (or was) a tad scuuurred... but will do my own next time. And my own tear down and rebuild too. I just learned too much to not do it myself. Check Ebay for the FULL service manual, I paid $15 for each one of my bikes.

Now... go sell that 5hun... and buy a CRF450... I did. :lol:

sell the 500hun for a 450..........never, the only thing the 450 has on the 5hundy is............damn, I can't think of anything :thumbsup: Something about big bore 2 stroke power that can't be matched............

I hear ya...

Just a 5hun idling is something to be scared of.... that.. "doong, dooong, dong, doong..." :awww:

But seriously... I sold my STREET LEGAL 5hun for a 450... never looked back. Except for those hilarious times when cops would look at me. Usually perplexed. Like a dog when it hears an unfamiliar sound! :thumbsup:

Ever read up on that 700cc 2stroker???

Be scuuurrreeddd... vawry scurrrrreeed.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/atk700/

atk700.jpg

OR... here's my old "streetable" 5hundy!!!

Cr500-aa.jpg

No I adjust my valves every 1000 miles. Where'd a topend come from?

Oh, I musta got confused with another thread about valve grinding, sorry for the confusion.

Along the same lines of redoing the valves, I saw a neat way to grind valve lips and seats on an auto performance show. They took the head and valve springs off, lifted the valves up a little, put some abrasive paste on the seats and set the valves back down. Then they stuck a suction-cup on the valve head. This then had a foot-long shaft on it, which you could twist between your palms or hook to a drill, spinning the valve in its guide. The abrasive action cuts new mating surfaces for the valves and seats without complicated tools. :thumbsup: