Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JMC

OIL FLAKES IN FILTER?????

3 posts in this topic

NEW TO A 99 YZ400. FOUND SOME OIL "FLAKES" ON THE FILTER WHEN I CHANGED THE OIL. THEY WERE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A HEAD OF PIN. SOME WERE DARK (TRANNY? ONLY FOUND THESE THE FIRST OIL CHANGE AFTER I GOT IT) AND SILVER/METALLIC. I CHANGED THE OIL AND FILTER AGAIN AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR RIDE. STILL HAD SOME OF THE SILVER FLAKE BUT NOT AS MUCH. WENT FOR A 30 MILE TRAIL RIDE (FIRST OF THE SEASON AND FIRST ONE WITH THIS BIKE) I CHANGED THE OIL ONE MORE TIME AND FOUND LESS STILL BUT IT WAS JUST NOTICEABLE. QUESTION- IS THIS "NORMAL" OR IS IT SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT? I HAVE HEARD THIS IS COMMON BUT... IF THIS SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM I MAY SELL AND BUY MY NEIGHBORS 95 XR600. ANY OPINIONS WILL BE WELCOMED!!!!!!! :thumbsup::awww:

AHHHhhh yes...the never ending question! LOL

It is perfectly normal. One of the many reasons to change your oil frequently though. I change mine every other ride. Oil is cheap....engines aren't.

THANKS, EASES MY MIND A BIT. SORRY GUYS I DID REPOST THIS QUESTION AGAIN, COULDN'T FIND THIS (MY FIRST POST) AND WASN'T SURE IT GOT ON THE FORUM.