Can't find neutral when bike running (-03 YZ450F)

Hi,

I've found that I can't locate neutral when the bike is running. This is usually when I am behind the gate, ready to start a race. The bike had the clutch mod done after about 5-10 hours of riding and it has now done about 60 hours. Maintenance has been diligent (oil 5 hours, filter 10). I am not a clutch abuser, having ridden big bikes (2 CR5s, 520SX) for five years now.

There is just a bunch of resistance (nothing to require violence, more like stiction) when pulling the lever up from 1st and then it clunks straight into 2nd.

I start in 2nd and don't go to 1st during races and I don't have any problems shifting even from 1st to 2nd when riding around, but I'm just wondering if this is a sign of something starting to go wrong. Any experiences?

is it easy to find nuetral with the engine off?? If so

try pushing the bike with engine off, clutch in and in 1st. If it's hard to push your problem is clutch drag.

If it's hard to find neutral with the engine off there could be a problem with the detent spring and ball on the RH side of the selecter drum. Although, a problem in this area will normally make it hard to select gears, as well as neutral.

I too have experienced this after the clutch mod and as the clutch wears more. It becomes very difficult to find neutral at a dead stop but once the motor is off it engages neutral easy. The problem is clutch drag. You need to adjust clutch cable - this will adjust the actuator arm. You either need to back it out or pull it forward. Adjust in small increments as it is very sensative to adjustment.

Whilst on the subject, something I have never really paid that much attention to. I have no problem finding neutral, but is it normal that if the bike is in gear and the clutch lever pulled in that there is drag. However, if it is in gear and running, or engine stopped in this state, once again no problem. Does this just require clutch adjustment?

I´ll have to try pushing the bike, since I can click right into neutral when the engine is not running. Also sometimes when I stop but keep the engine running and bike in gear, clutch pulled in, the revs stay low until I blip the throttle. Again, consistent with clutch drag being the culprit, right?

What can cause the drag (I do have proper play at the lever), since the clutch plates wearing out would logically decrease drag, not increase it?

I would hate to have grooves in the clutch basket, but I guess I'll have to check that out at the next oil change (this weekend or the next).

Whilst on the subject, something I have never really paid that much attention to. I have no problem finding neutral, but is it normal that if the bike is in gear and the clutch lever pulled in that there is drag. However, if it is in gear and running, or engine stopped in this state, once again no problem. Does this just require clutch adjustment?

yes

And if you have done the clutch mod with the 02 plates you will need to adj the clutch cable