650 - DO'S & DON'TS

I'm looking for a little help from you experienced 650 owners. I've never owned a honda before and I'm getting ready to pickup a used 650 for some dual sport riding. Since I am not familar with this bike I was wondering if any of you could help me out with info.... if one year is better than others or any kind of differences from one year to the next...maybe what to look out for????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Bob

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

street legal 650R. Do they exist??

"used-to-could".... You're definatley looking at the used market here unless you have buying power outside of the Republik of Kalifornia. I bought an R last year and dual sported it. I love it wouldn't trade it for anything, especially when I learned the meaning of BRP! ?

If you go to www.cycletrader.com you will find about 60 used XR650R's--about 10 of them are street legal. Pick one in your neighborhood. Plan on shelling out about $4k-$4.5k--do a nationwide search for XR650R

Try to find one thats street legal, and has an edelbrock carb. As a new rider you will enjoy the ease of starting the bike with that carb.

The R and the L are different bikes. Weight, performance are supior on the R. The L does have one very nice feature-electric start.

Dez4ever, I have a 2000 XR650R with a street legal kit on it which I would sell you, but you are in CA which is a long way from TX~! Anyway, things to look out for on the

650R, I would say make sure you look at the shock linkage and see if it's worn on the right hand side. Also check that all nuts and bolts are in place, such as the upper subframe nut which falls off if not loctited. Make sure they keep the air filter clean and make sure it's got the right amount of oil in it, and make sure they have kept the valves adjusted and the spokes are tight and the chain is not overtightened and so on!

Or better yet just buy mine and you'll be good to go! Haha

L.L.

'00 XR650R (uncorked/legal)

'04 KX500 (stock/illegal/insane)

not a problem to get the R version street legal in sweden. 2003 model was sold street legal,

i wouldnt buy the L version

L version :awww:

R version ?

I would. And did. Not everyone wants to play speed racer. The L is a hell of a lot more comfortable, much better on pavement, and does have electric start:). ps...doesn't boil over either..

pps..The L is better looking too. My buddy has a dual sported R. When we stop at gas stations or diners, everyone ogles my L. His R barely gets a second look.

sorry but personally i think the l's are ugly,and i like kick starting my bike it makes things more interesting and people like to watch. i dont know but when ou have a motard everyone always looks at my bike firs compares to sport bike unless there is some hige end one somewhere or there is a crash

Yeah, just because it doesnt boil over doesnt mean its not overheating ! This guy must be a beleiver in "what you dont see cant hurt you" also hahaha. Liquid cooling = More stable temperatures and longer engine life. When the R starts to boil at least you KNOW to shut it down instead of cooking everything like would happen on the L. I would love electric start, but would take the lighter weight, liquid cooling, more power any day ! Besides, the 650R looks way better than the L ever did. (Unless you are trying to impress grandma). ?