Cracked Tank...

Well it finally happened to me after 2 years of reading/hearing about it on TTalk! Here is the pic:

crackedtank.jpg

I'm ordering a Clarke tank tonight, since it looks like the best alternative. Just thought I would post a topic so that Yamaha might fix this problem associated with thin walled tanks. Later,

Garrett

BTW I am trying to decide on a color for the tank (either blue, yellow, or white) along with a total makeover for my bike. I saw an awesome bike on here a few weeks ago...it had all white plastics/gas tank, and blue graphics with black numbers (#33 I think). I think it was Hick or Boit who posted it. Could you please post that pic again I would like to see it! Thanks,

Garrett

I also plan on buying a YZ250 airbox and sidepanels why I am at it. Any comments?

I thought it was the rubber strap too, its not. Its from sitting up there while cornering Im pretty sure. When you sit up there, you flex the back of the tank at the edge and sooner or later it work hardens like most things will. Its just too thin. If your not slammin up on the tank alot, youll probably get years out of the tank. If your a fatty like me, and ya sit on the gas cap like me, and Im sure Garrett, its gonna break.

FOR WHAT IT`S WORTH. I HAD THE SAME DEAL AS WITH MANY 426 OWNERS.AFTER YAMAHA SENT THE NEW TANK I BOUGHT A LARGE SPONGE ABOUT (6 X 12 IN.). I PUT IT IN WATER AND STUFFED IT IN A SOCK END, TO REDUCE THE SIZE DOWN TO ABOUT 2 X 3. THAN I PLACED IT ON THE FRAME AND SUB FRAME MOUNT AT THE BACK OF THE TANK AND WORKED HARD TO GET THE TANK BACK ON. AFTER THE SPONGE DRIED OUT, IT NOW HOLDS THE MOLDED SHAPE OF THE AREA AND PROVIDES SOME SUPPORT FOR THAT AREA.FOR ME IT HAS WORKED GREAT. IT`S BEEN ON MY BIKE FOR ABOUT 1 AND HALF YEAR WITH NO PROBLEMS. TRY IT ,IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU?

Im 215lbs and i NEVER have problems with ym stock tank! I ride expert A calss supercross and motocross so im not putzin' around. However, I put some stick-on neoprene around the tank where it contacts the frame, this greatly lessens vibration transfered to the tank, and that reduces vibration transferred directly to your ass-crotch area! It also keeps the frame from cracking the gas tank on hard hits off of landings, or if too much force is applied in hard corners with a heavier rider. trust me, it works.

Hey Gorilla,

I also tried to fix the problem since I read tons of posts about it. I glued pieces of old HD inner tubes to the frame/subframe to cushion the tank. Well about a year later my tank cracked also. I only weigh 170lbs, so I dont think weight plays a large factor in the cracking. The tank walls are way to thin (just to save a few ounces) hopefully the new 450 has thicker tank walls...because after I plop down $6500 for one I wont have the extra cash to buy a replacement tank. Later,

Garrett

Originally posted by moto515:

FOR WHAT IT`S WORTH. I HAD THE SAME DEAL AS WITH MANY 426 OWNERS.AFTER YAMAHA SENT THE NEW TANK I BOUGHT A LARGE SPONGE ABOUT (6 X 12 IN.). I PUT IT IN WATER AND STUFFED IT IN A SOCK END, TO REDUCE THE SIZE DOWN TO ABOUT 2 X 3. THAN I PLACED IT ON THE FRAME AND SUB FRAME MOUNT AT THE BACK OF THE TANK AND WORKED HARD TO GET THE TANK BACK ON. AFTER THE SPONGE DRIED OUT, IT NOW HOLDS THE MOLDED SHAPE OF THE AREA AND PROVIDES SOME SUPPORT FOR THAT AREA.FOR ME IT HAS WORKED GREAT. IT`S BEEN ON MY BIKE FOR ABOUT 1 AND HALF YEAR WITH NO PROBLEMS. TRY IT ,IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU?

That is an EXCELLENT idea,,,I'm gonna do it. Thanks!

I'm really surprised Garrett didn't come up with some fancy fix for the crack. I honestly opened this post with hope that you had found a way to mend the crack.

Seems to me that some plastic welding could work. Not just weld the crack, but maybe patch it with another piece of plastic for added strength.

ben

LOL I thought about repairing it...but the cost of a tank is minimal when compared to a burnt down bike IMO. The sponge idea sounds like a good idea to me. My friend repaired his tank with the stuff from NAPA and it lasted about 6 months. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the clarke tank, so I wont have to worry about future problems. Later,

Garrett

Same story, mine cracked last year, dealer checked with yamaha and said no to a replacement tank.Tried a few different repairs but they only lasted a couple of motos.Ended up buying a new tank from a 98 model 400f which i believe was made from a thicker plastic (2mm vs 1.5mm)- this was before the clarke tank was available.So far so good.

Well I got my tank welded tonight by a mechanic at my work. He used to make a living welding plastic pipes together. We used polyethlyene plastic and hopefully it holds up until Monday (when I get a new tank) I am racing tomorrow at Skeeters MX and hopefully it lasts the whole race. Im sure it will because it looks thick!

Garrett