HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lomitamike

Has anyone swaped a 01 yz silencer to a 01 WR?

6 posts in this topic

I've left my bike stock for the first 4 rides now I feel Im ready to do some mods. I'll be starting with with the exhaust. Reading everything I could find on this site it seems like the YZ silencer is the way to go as far as the power to noise concern. Has anyone done this conversion? What's involved and does the YZ have a spark arrester? Any feedback will help. Thanks Mike

I am using a 00 YZ426 pipe on my WR426 and you really can tell THAT big of a difference. It seem to have some more top end but I really couldn't say how much. I think the YZ pipe sounds cool but it is loud. It DOESN'T have a spark arrester so watch it in riding areas that require them. As far as the mounting...My friend went with a White Bros. E-Series and used the stock washer insert for the frame mounting, (it's a little different than the WR pipe, we have a small mounting hole. The YZ has a insert that the mounting bolt goes thru.) I used 2 flat washer and a piece of heater hose and made my own. I like the looks and sound but before you do this I would remove the baffle and cut your throttle stop.

I've been using a '00 YZ pipe/silencer on my '00 WR since new and, along with proper jetting, throttle stop & airbox mods, TOTALLY changed the nature of my bike. I've never been able to figure out why guys spend $300-$500 on aftermarket pipes when a great solution is right before our eyes. since alot of YZ drivers go aftermarket, their stock pipes can be had for cheap; $100 brand new in my case. yep, they're loud but this bike flies now!

I have the yz pipe on my bike with a 180 main it has made a huge differance, but it was too loud, so I had a friend make an insert for it. (basically a washer with 5 .275inch holes in it) it makes less noise than a wr pipe with an insert and is alot lighter and more powerful. I have had no problems with it and it still rips.

We tested a one hole (.75inch) insert it was louder than the 5 hole version with no power differance but it was alot louder. maybe you can use a screen of some sort for a spark arrestor?? I have also read somewher in here about using a drain screen from your hardware store somewhere on this site.

good luck

98 wr400

yz timing

yz seat and tank

street legal

panoram computer

Loud pipes close riding areas and thats all they do.Want your bike to go faster, go to the gym.

Originally posted by vincegatcore.com:

I have the yz pipe on my bike with a 180 main it has made a huge differance, but it was too loud, so I had a friend make an insert for it. (basically a washer with 5 .275inch holes in it) it makes less noise than a wr pipe with an insert and is alot lighter and more powerful. I have had no problems with it and it still rips.

We tested a one hole (.75inch) insert it was louder than the 5 hole version with no power differance but it was alot louder. maybe you can use a screen of some sort for a spark arrestor?? I have also read somewher in here about using a drain screen from your hardware store somewhere on this site.

good luck

98 wr400

yz timing

yz seat and tank

street legal

panoram computer