ok, personal feelings aside

which year is the best year for the XR650R and why ?

After seeing that E start from Baja Designs, I'm seriously considering selling my 03 DRZ400S and buying another BRP (big red pig) I really miss the power of my 02 XR650R and sold it ONLY because I wanted the E start. Now I have a reason to go RED again ?

Mid 01' and newer are all the same. The counter shaft seal and the clutch bushing were changed some time in the middle of 2001 so if you get an 02' or newer it is the new stuff. Easy change though wouldn't stop me from buying a 2000 with low miles for a great price! ?

I still just cant fathom paying 900 for an e-start. I'll wait for the CRF680X ???

ok, I can get a 2002 mint xr650r for $3400. add the E start and its only $4300. I can only assume a CRF680X will be much higher than that :awww:

My only point is that the bike will start on the first or second kick, everytime for me. I havn't been in a situation that I have said 'DAMN, I sure wich I had spent the $900 for that e-start' In the time it takes to say that, my bike is started.

I'm also not out riding trails that are only as wide as my bike, if I DID... and I stalled going up a decent hill.... Im sure I would change my mind.

Great point about the price of the bike... I have noticed that you can get them pretty damn cheap now... I guess Im just jealous.. I cant THINK about an e-start yet... I need a GPR or a Scotts first....

FlyByWire, I didn't notice if you have changed out the stock carb for a pumper. If you haven't then when you dump your bike it will not start 1st or 2nd kick because it will flood most times when dumped. I agree that even with the stock carb the bike is easy to start with the exception of after it has flooded. I doubt many XR650R riders would buy the electric start to make it easier to start. Its those precarious positions that you get yourself in that make an E-start valuable.

This last Saturday I was riding a trail in which there were multiple water crossings. The water is high due to the melt and recent rains. Almost to the opposing bank I hit a large rock which turned my wheel to the side and I found myself in knee deep water off the bike trying to prevent it from going totaly under and the bike died. I was on my 525EXC and I hit the e-button, the bike started, it was popping a bit but I reved it up and got the bike out and went on my merry way. That could have turned out a bit different if I had to try to balance the bike against the current while kicking it over.

I would not have bought the 525EXC eight months ago if Baja Designs had developed their starter. I love the easy going awsome torque of the XR650 with it's relatively maintanance free reliability. In my opinion the E-Start perfects an almost flawless bike. $900.00 is a lot of money and a GPR is nice (I already have one on my XR650). If it was me I would extend my forks to the max which makes the 650 a very stable bike and get the E-Button first. But then I ride different conditions than you so who am I to speak about what I would do if I were you. Get the GPR, its an awsome stabilizer. ?

If it was me I would extend my forks to the max which makes the 650 a very stable bike

Probably a stupid question... but what does this mean? ? Does this mean lowering the forks in the tripple clamps? I think my bike is stock this way.

As an owner of 2 XR650R's, if I had it to do over again, I'd get KTM 625SXC's in a heartbeat over the BRPs. Simply because the bikes come with a real, OEM electric start, hydro clutch, great carburator (FCR41MX), wave rotors, good stock eq (bars, chain), upside-down forks, steering lock, and have true OEM dualsport equipment available, and all this at the same MSRP as the BRP. Don't get me wrong, I love my red bikes, but thats just simply a hell of a deal. ?

I almost bought the 625sxc instead of the 525EXC for the very reason you mentioned. It's one steal of a deal.

Here is my big question mark. I don't know that I believe the LC4 motor is as reliable and trouble free over the long run as the XR650R. Im not saying it isn't I just don't know. Every LC4 I have come across in the past has been troublesome to their owners.

I now ride with a friend who rides the 625sxc. So far I am impressed with the bike. He bought his the year before KTM put a pumper carb on the 625 so he does have to mess with the carb a lot. More than I did on my XR650 before I went to a pumper. Never the less, Im still impressed. ? I am also still a beleiver in Honda reliability.

What's the highest anyone has brought their forks up without some adverse reactions? I'm an east coast guy and am at 5 mm now.

I have seen a professional who raced the 650 for years. He had his handle bars raised and the the tubes raised in the triple clamp more than 1" it looked close to an 1 1/2". He is one fast rider and it didn't seem to bother him in the desert at high speed.

It's true man, I used to have a KTM400 in the mid-90s and it not only had a lot of problems, but I had a hell of a time getting parts for it. That bike had all the fancy parts on it, which was good, but I had too many expensive engine problems and transmission problems with it. Also I could never get the suspension dialed in right, that bike was a pain in the ass, I hated it. So I finally sold it and bought a XR400, which never broke, ever. Then I sold that one, wanting more power, and got an XR650R back in '01, and it's never had any problems either. I'll stick with the jap bikes, thanks.

L.L.

'00 XR650R