XR650L front sproket movement??

I just changed out the front sproket on my 00' XRL with a new OEM 14 tooth sproket. After putting it all back together and tightening down the sproket plate I have a good 1/8" of slop if I grab the sproket on each side and move it in and out or back and forth. Do I just need a new sproket hold down plate to keep the sproket tighter, or is some movement normal after 3,600 miles. The counter shaft splines looked good also? Thanks for any advice!!

I just changed out the front sproket on my 00' XRL with a new OEM 14 tooth sproket. After putting it all back together and tightening down the sproket plate I have a good 1/8" of slop if I grab the sproket on each side and move it in and out or back and forth. Do I just need a new sproket hold down plate to keep the sproket tighter, or is some movement normal after 3,600 miles. The counter shaft splines looked good also? Thanks for any advice!!

The CS sprocket mounting is not a solid one. There is slop side to side and fore and aft rotation on the splines. If you're unsure, reinstall your 15-tooth and check the freeplay on that one for comparison.

If there aren't any visible signs of damage or abnormal wear, it should be fine. Put the new one on without the chain and check the matching of the splines. The reveals or gaps should be uniform around all the teeth.

One question, was the old sprocket OEM? If it wasn't that could be a cause for improper fitting of the new sprocket due to the "old" one not fitting right.

I've been swapping between an aftermarket 14-t & the stock 15-t for about 1500 miles now and the bike has 4300 miles on it. The 14-t is the ticket for any real technical off-roading. Easy to change back for pavement.

Thanks for your input dual_dog. The sproket I took off was a Sunstar and it looked like it fit good on the shaft. I did not check it for play though before I took it off, but I will. I just have never seen a front sproket that you could move around like these XRL's!