WR450 - 03 - More questions

I posted earlier about my new WR450 and got some very good answers to my questions. Thanks a bunch..

Here area couple of follow-ups

1) After making the free mods - throttle stop, air box, exhaust restricter and gray wire, I understand that I should re-jet with the jets provided with the bike. I did not get any jets. Should I have received jets with the bike? What type and numbers do I need ? According to the dealer I have to buy the jets, as they say that jets are not included.

2) Can someone reference the specifics of the Yamaha service bulletin concerning the woodruff key issue? My dealer say that they have no record of this recall? Any post a copy of this anywhere on the site?

Thanks

Again

As far as jetting the early 03's came with very lean jetting - a 150 main and not sure what the pilot was. Not knowing the conditions where you are perhaps a good starting point would be the 04 specs which came with 165 main and a 45 pilot. The needle was the same I believe.

As far as the TSB is concerned I would avoid it. It was an interim fix for the 03's that really didn't fix the problem and caused a slew of others. In 04 Yamaha redesigned the starter drive to incorporate a torque limiter. This seems to have been the fix that worked since to date I haven't seen any posts regarding '04 key failures. Many 03's failed even after the TSB fix which involved lapping the crankshaft and loctiting the flywheel mating surface. Although Yamaha never admitted there was a problem they didn't put all those new parts in the '04 for fun. If it were my bike I would upgrade to the '04 parts and avoid the TSB 'loctite' fix. That's my .02

My advice is to forget about the jets from the dealer. Your bike should have come with some, but they are usually high altitude jets (meaning they will lean out the mixture) and the bike is already too lean.

Save yourself a whole bunch of time and buy the JD Jetting kit from the TT Store. It's a drop in performance enhancement and will get you much closer to optimal jetting on the first shot. I use it and I have been very satisfied as have many other TT members. It's money well spent.

As to the woodruff key TSB, it is M2003-007 and was issued on 3/26/03. I have a hard copy of it that I printed a while back, but I don't seem to have the PDF anymore. However, this TSB may have been done at the factory on your bike if it was a later model. You should have your dealer contact Yamaha technical support and inquire about the bulletin and how to determine whether or not your bike had the service applied at the factory.

Have fun and hold on tight :thumbsup:

Simple answer:

Buy the JD jetting kit from this forum store.

Buy a 72 starter jet for cold weather, make sure you have 172, 170, 168, 165, 162, 160, 155 mains as well.

48 pilot for winter, #40 leak jet, and you are covered.

As far as the woodruf key issue the only known cure is to upgrade to the 04 starter which you can find instructions on:

http//www.wr450.com

You can save money on the side cover by buying the bushing that goes in the the side cover to make it an 04. Search this forum for a bushing part number. :thumbsup:

:awww:

I have 162MJ, 45PJ and the 04 WR needle, it's a DWR(stock 03 is a DUT)and a 70SJ. The starter jet made a huge difference in cold starts! I'm at ~2800' and she loves the jetting...and it cost me about 1/2 of what a jet kit would have cost!

Go to dealer that stocks jet parts from SUDCO, don't order Yamaha stuff-it'll cost 2-3 times SUDCO's because of OEM mark-up!

As long as you have her jetted correctly and don't open the throttle when cranking her, you won't have trouble with the key....if you treat her like a 2-smoke, you will!

As far as the TSB is concerned I would avoid it. It was an interim fix for the 03's that really didn't fix the problem and caused a slew of others. In 04 Yamaha redesigned the starter drive to incorporate a torque limiter. This seems to have been the fix that worked since to date I haven't seen any posts regarding '04 key failures. Many 03's failed even after the TSB fix which involved lapping the crankshaft and loctiting the flywheel mating surface. Although Yamaha never admitted there was a problem they didn't put all those new parts in the '04 for fun. If it were my bike I would upgrade to the '04 parts and avoid the TSB 'loctite' fix. That's my .02