96db questions

Hey guys, I keep reading about this sound restiriciton and have a few questions. Where are these restrictions enforced? Are the just for races, or am I going to have to worry about being sound tested by a forrest ranger while I am riding my favorite trails? And how long have these restrictions been in place? I have only recently heard of them. My WR426 is currently running without and insert in the stock exhaust, and it still does not seem as loud as my buddies CRF450 with R4 exhaust on it. So, What is up with all of this foolishment??? Any input is appreciated.

Josh

unfortunely it depends on where you live, because the restrictions are different. Here in the NW we have a 99db limit in the forest and a 93db limit at the coast and yes you can get checked at either place, forest rangers armed with decibel meters.

Anyone know where I can get info on the regulations in northern New Mexico? Thanks

Josh

Anyone know where I can get info on the regulations in northern New Mexico

Depends again on the land you ride on. If it's National Forest or BLM or what ever. Then go to thier web site. If they don't have it listed there will contacts listed that you can email for the info.

In MN and WI, were at 96db unless it's a closed course race. IE: MX

Just a thought, but it won't be long before every state is 96db whether it's a closed course or not.

Here in CA the noise limit is 96db. I have passed with my set up and found that, at least here in northern CA that the USFS rangers check AND write citations if you are louder than 96. One ticket is almost the cost of a pipe, so might as well get quiet.

MI is 94 db except on closed course. On a personal note a favorite local riding area in now patroled by local sherrif due to noise complaints for new local residents.

The area was a local gravel pit and we weren't supposed to be there anyway, but the noise thing caused the problem. I use the GYT-R insert and, so far, no problem.

OK, I too have a stock muffler on a WR426, uncorked, your looking at about 97db, with a GYT-R insert, closer to 93, stock insert is about 86, pretty quiet. I find my bike makes more HP with the GYT-R insert, but it hasnt been rejetted for uncorked either. Its 96 in my area. Usually races are no rules as long as its private/closed course. If your on any public lands, its enforced. Here they will measure you before any ride, ie poker run etc, if its not an event, they may measure you if they think you may be over. If your close, they will more likely just warn you, but if your way out, expect a fine. It may be different in your area.

Sorry, but I think an uncorked 426 is well over 97db. I run a PowerCore IV that is throaty to be sure, but not near as obnoxious as no plug at all, and I have been tested three times, 97, 96, 96. I wouldn't want my bike any louder than this either.

Sorry, but I think an uncorked 426 is well over 97db. I run a PowerCore IV that is throaty to be sure, but not near as obnoxious as no plug at all, and I have been tested three times, 97, 96, 96. I wouldn't want my bike any louder than this either.

I have to agree. I ran an uncorked WR exhaust for a while and it was way louder that the stock YZ/PMB exhaust I am currently running. I know the YZ exhaust without the PMB quiet insert is over 96 db although I haven't had it tested yet. I'm guessing the WR is over 100. You must have a very generous tester.