HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimBrp

Axle Bolt/Nut

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Been out a few times this year on the pig and I can tell you one thing. If you do a tear-down DO NOT tighten important moving parts to factory tolerances. They loosen up. So on that note my axle nut continues to loosen up on rides where I'm break-sliding alot. Anyone ever drill a hole through their axle and nut to apply a cotterpin? I'm curious if this is worth it or will it decrease strength in the axle? Any thoughts?

I just stand on the wrench until my calibrated foot tells me I've met my torque setting. I haven't had problems with any of the notorious hardware loosening (footpegs, etc.). I have, however, lost small stuff that I am afraid to blue loctite. A radiator shroud bolt and a side-panel bolt.

There are aftermarket lock nuts for the rear axle. Might be a bit more expensive, but it will look cool...i had a rear axle nut back off at an Adelanto GP--not good!

I too use my foot to loosen it, and tighten it down very snug.

I'm a firm believer in tightening things down, believe me. I've had my fair share of snapped bolts. Two last weekend to be exact...lol. When I tighten mine the tire doesn't spin freely sometimes. I wonder if it has any added stress on bearings and the like? Maybe it was just breaking in. Irondude where can I get some of those aftermarket ones? ?

I Do it to all my bikes except I drill it so that the nut can be safety wired independant of the axel, this is done so that the nut can be set at any position on the axel.

I wire both axel nuts the crown nut and the front sprocket bolt.