Carrying extra gas. Idea's?

I need an extra gallon of gas for this weekends ride.

Anyone figure out a realtively safe way to carry it?

The first 20 miles will be pretty smooth riding.

I was thinking about an antifreeze container but didn't want to put it in my backpack.

Any idea's?

I've used a collapsable Alhambra water container. Well it wasn't designed to be collapsable per se, but you could after the fact and it had a spin on cap.

Like you the first few dozen miles were pretty smooth sailing. I stopped when it started to get rougher and emptied the bottle so it wasn't on my back. After that I just crushed all the air out, put the cap back on before any could get back in, stuck it in my pack, and rode. :thumbsup:

You could........ummm.........buy a bigger gas tank.

If you haven't already done so Salty, this is true. In my case I already had the 4.6'er on the DRZ but was making a 185 mile loop of no civilization. Damn that was a great ride.

on longer rides i've been known to carry the msr fuel bottles. they come in various sizes. you can figure out various ways to strap em to your bars, fender, or chest protector (if you can stand feeling like a human bomb)

you can get them at most granola back packing stores. be sure to tell the greenie behind the counter what you intend to do with it.

msr_fuel_bottles.jpg

i either put 2-3 small lastic water bottles filled with fuel in my backpack, or strap a larger container around my waist. Either thru the tool belt or thru the roost protector side straps. Works fine.

I was thinking about an antifreeze container but didn't want to put it in my backpack.

I'd just assume you either already have a bigger tank... or don't care to purchase one for a few 'off' rides... however most of the guys/gals that ride with us do use a antifreeze container in the bakcpack idea.

I've seen a guy (passed him on the long trail in Mex) with two looked to be like halfgallon containers... one on each hip, I'm assuming to off set the weight. However, It didn't look too comfortable. They also looked like Church bells swinging back and forth. They were only looped through his fanny pack or belt with rope.

You can always put the antifreeze container in the trash after consuming that much fuel. I guess how you carry it is the dilemna. :thumbsup:

I've often wondered about the same thing, but I don't like the idea of feeling like a Ford Pinto. One good rear-ending and WOOF!

There are plastic tanks that strap on or bolt onto the rear fender. they come with all the neccessary fittings and hose and come in diff. sizes 4.5, 5.8 and 8 litres. the brand name is NOMAD.

slowxr,

I have a stock tank and the fuel limitation is a consern of mine also. I do what T/C has mentioned and carry extra fuel in large MSR fuel bottles. They are srong, light weight, never leak, and are made for fuel. I also use them for back packing, hahaha.

I store them in my saddle bags. My dog is old and can't pack her own supplies any more so I use her doggie saddle bags on the BRP. They are small and match the collors of the bike and seat perfectly (blk/red). They are held in place by putting the side pannel bolts through them. I don't even notice them while ridding the rough spots. In the event that they were to leak after a fall, I would be clear of raw fuel.

I should be smart enough to realize that if I were to put a larger tank on, I don't have to top it off on short rides. Won't happen soon, hahaha.

i considered using a 1 gallon gas can i have laying around and attaching it to the rear fender, somehow. anyone have any ideas. i think it is a great idea. you can pick those up for a couple of dollars.

I thought I saw a pic of a small plastic fuel tank strapped to the back fender of an XR that was made for that. I think it was from Acerbis???

Acerbis makes a fender tank for the rear fender. 1.0 gallon I belive. They also still make 2 fork tanks. A .7 and a 1.4 tank I think. I used to ride Huskies in Baja from the early 70's to mid 90's. A 3.5 gallon Vesco tank, feathering the throttle, got about 70 miles to a tank. We used to carry two, Prestone bottles filled with fuel, one on each hip. You go 20 miles and dump one in. Go another 20 miles and dump the other one in. Just watch jumps and the weight can make you sway to one side or the other. Only crashed once in all those years, but that is another story. Tape bottoms and sides up 5 inches with speed tape to ward off catus spikes. Unless you are riding a 2 stroke, a larger fuel tank should do the trick instead. My 4.6 IMS on my old XR 650 got 140 miles to a tank. :thumbsup:

When we prerode the 1000 my buddy Shawn Black made a sling that looked like a paper boys paper carrier. He let it hang over his gas tank with a plastic jug of gas in each pocket. It's out of the way and you don't have to carry it your pack.

I like the MSR backpack fuel bottles... anyone wear a camel back? if you do, then you have enough room to carry a couple big bottles, and the water bladder makes a good cushion so that they are not slamming into your back if you are in the whoops, or airborn!!! :thumbsup::devil::awww:

I have a funny story about the antifreeze bottle. We were riding from Lonepine CA. to Tonapah NV. and had to go over Cerro Gordo summit (8500 ft) my buddy was using a antifreeze bottle to carry extra gas and had it taped up and felt it was leak proof (carried inside his backpack). Apperently the elevation change effected the bottle and the bottle leaked gas all over everything in his pack all his extra clothes and toiletries.

We spend the night in Tonapah and his room smells extremely strong of gas the whole time we are there. The next morning we were packed up and on are bikes ready to take off when the fire alarm goes off with the hotel staff evacuating the entire hotel, three or four fire trucks come rolling into the parking lot as we watch sitting on our bikes. The gas fumes were mistaken for some kind of gas leak and the fire department was called in. We decided it would be a good time for us to head out. I guess you had to be there. Moral of the story is use a proper fuel container with a leak proof cap.

Hey Docmarkw, you also forgot to mention as we were going through the basin of Death Valley I could not figure out why my back felt like it was on fire. After a while, I reached back to rub my back under my back pack after an hour of my back burning at 50mph and realized my glove smelled of gasoline (not Good) Nothing like walking around a hotel in full MX gear for 3 hours as I was washing the heck out of my cloths. I think I spent $20.00 on washing machine quarters and soap and it still did'nt make a dent in the smell. I learned my lesson. Do not use an Anti-freeze bottle. Docmarkw, Do you think it is safe to go back to that hotel? Also, lets plan a Laughlin ride real soon

Mark, I've heard that story.. :thumbsup: When we go I always carry a gallon of gas in my backpack, in an antifreeze container. I've never had a problem, but just in case, I pack my clothes on top..

I coming out of retirement, my dad and I ordered new WRs... We'll see you soon, time to work on my wheelies.. :devil:

I've used a collapsable Alhambra water container. Well it wasn't designed to be collapsable per se, but you could after the fact and it had a spin on cap.

Like you the first few dozen miles were pretty smooth sailing. I stopped when it started to get rougher and emptied the bottle so it wasn't on my back. After that I just crushed all the air out, put the cap back on before any could get back in, stuck it in my pack, and rode.

I've done that too... Works great....

Hey Dan, the last 1000 miler we went on together if I remember right you had your extra gas on the outside of your pack blowing in the wind. Yes I do remember because I have a picture of you going through Elko that way. Glad your coming out of retirement. We have a pretty good time with the group of guys we have. Are you going on the next long ride? It's already planned for the first week of October.