HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YZFan

Installing a new timing chain.??

7 posts in this topic

Is there anyway to set the crankshaft on top dead center with out the fly wheel and the side cover on?? I have been all over the manual and cant find it. Are there any other timing marks?? I am installing the 450 cam and a new timing chain and dont want to reassemble everything just to check it out. Thanks for any help

Just take the plastic screwed in plugs out of the cover. Then you can put a wrench on the crank, and see what position it's in. I know that's in the manual, and it's easy to do.

Lukejt

Is there anyway to set the crankshaft on top dead center with out the fly wheel and the side cover on??

I don't think so. Install the chain on the crank shaft. Secure the chain from the top so it doesn't fall into the tunnel. Reinstall the magneto, flywheel and side case. Set it at TDC through the inspection hole. Install the intake cam so it lines up properly and set the exhaust off the intake. The flywheel has a key so its self aligning on the crank.

Well, if it was close to begin with you could just put a straw in the spark plug hole to find the highest point of the piston.

While I was fighting with the chain to remove it the crank turned. I was just wanting to know if there was any other way to set the timing with out putting all back together. Thanks for the info.

While I was fighting with the chain to remove it the crank turned.

That doesn't matter. The crank can be rotated to any position with the chain off or on. The only important part is to find TDC once you have the new chain on and then set the cams properly. You will need to put the side case back on to do that.

setting the timing involves the camshafts in relation to the crankshaft.

So really put the piston at TDC. Then just fit up the rotor to see if the marks correlate correctly if you were to look through the site hole (12 oclock position). If not, turn the crank 180*.

To find out the top, remove the tank and sparkplug. Insert a long torx or phillips screwdriver down the spark plug hole. Find the highest point, TOP. Pretty simple. From there, leave the crank alone and then align the cams accordingly since the engine will now be at TDC.