Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAAB

Plastics

9 posts in this topic

Hiya, cool board! I own a 2000 WR 400 and have noticed that the plastics are wearing really badly. I have been told that if I don't ever fall or get dirty the plastics will last a really long time. Is this true? :) Seriously, are any aftermarket plastics harder to scratch than the Yamaha ones? Thanks!

------------------

2000 WR 400F fondly known as "WROOF"

What you are asking for is a plastic that won't scratch but flexes and won't break. Those two attributes are opposing. All materials are some sort of compromise. Not to mention the cost factor. I am certain there is a better base resin but an Engineering grade would be cost prohibitive and once you lay the bike down hell even hardened steel will scratch. I use the UFO brand. It's thinner and lighter than the stockers but cheap to replace. You could probably replace fenders 3x to the stockers.

:)

Russ P

------------------

'00 WR 400

UNCORKED, YZ TIMED

SNORKEL & LID REMOVED

STOP TRIMMED

I have used Acerbis , UFO and Maier plastic. IMO, the Acerbis is the handsdown superior product.

------------------

'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

I suspected that the Acerbis plastic was superior, and the cost when I priced it was much better too. I am not looking for super plastic, but I have ridden a bike a year for 21 years and never have I scratched the plastics so fast. I appreciate your responses guys!

------------------

2000 WR 400F fondly known as "WROOF"

After creasing two blue front fenders, I went with a white (UFO). It takes the scratches and folds a lot better.

------------------

Chris

99WR400F

My understanding if you use a heat gun at a low setting on the white creases will come out of the blue plastic.

Dennis :)

JAAB: i YZ'd my WR w/a silver Acerbis kit & love the look but the plastic was noticeably thinner than stock. first get-off on the right side really trashed my number plate but protected my silencer. i find the Acerbis scratches very easily. bobwombat