I need advise on buying a WR450 2003 !!!!

Hi Guys

I am looking at buying a WR450 2003 this week. It has 1300kms on the clock and looks very tidy. Alot of aftermarket stuff such as Pipe,disks, graphics,bash plate. What problems should I look for ?????

Buy the bike. You'll be fine.

I have one of the first 03 WR450's sold in SoCal. I never touched the flywheel and I have had perfect service out of the bike. I agree that there has been a problem with several bikes, but I think there are tons more that have been problem free. If he has 1300kms without it breaking, then you should be fine.

Jimbo

Don't buy the 2003! Buy a 2004! Two years from now, or whenever you want to sell the bike, anyone and I mean ANYONE looking for a WR450 will stay far..... away from a 2003! But what do I know, I have spent my life retailing autos in Detroit! Does the word PINTO mean anything to you? :D :D ?

You can check the serial number of the bike to see if it was in the group of 450's having problems. Then again I have 3000 miles on my poor old 03 450 with no problems, and none of the riders I know with the 03 have had problems. Most of the problems I think are from their owners messing with the bike, but even hammers break.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have over 3000 miles on mine without any problem, no updates to starter or flywheel. if it has gone 1300 miles problem free then I wouldnt worry about it. Just my opinion.

Mine went 2,600 miles before shearing it's first woodruff key!! My advice would be to definitely upgrade the starter parts (especially if the Yamaha TSB has been done on it) and pack a spare woodruff key and tools to replace it on the trail, if necessary.

Remember Murphy's law...if you have it with you you'll never need it and vice versa.. ?