Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikev7

Sproket gearing question?

10 posts in this topic

I own a 2000 YZ426 and i want to get a little more top speed out of it. Will i get more speed by making the front sproket 1 tooth bigger, or the rear sproket 1 tooth smaller? I want the smallest adjustment being that 1st gear on this bike is allready tall. :)

If you do a search on this subject you will see a ton of info on it. But the smallest adjustment would be going 1 tooth bigger on the rear I believe. I tooth up front equals 3 teeth on the rear. :)

Dosent one tooth smaller on the rear make more top end? Would one tooth smaller on the rear be a lot of difference?

If you do a search on this subject you will see a ton of info on it. But the smallest adjustment would be going 1 tooth bigger on the rear I believe. I tooth up front equals 3 teeth on the rear. :D

nope got it backwards,smaller front is same as adding a bigger rear,equals lower gearing.Want to go faster, go bigger in front or smaller in back. :)

If you do a search on this subject you will see a ton of info on it. But the smallest adjustment would be going 1 tooth bigger on the rear I believe. I tooth up front equals 3 teeth on the rear. :D

nope got it backwards,smaller front is same as adding a bigger rear,equals lower gearing.Want to go faster, go bigger in front or smaller in back. :)

bigc has it correct.

I wanted to make my YZ a woods warrior and I did so by going up 3 teeth on the rear (stock=49 now=52).

If the effect your looking for is a "slight" improvement in top end speed, go to a 48 tooth rear.

Boyd

The stock front sproket is 14t, would you suggest going up to a 15 on the front. Or maby decreasing the rear by 2 teeth?

If you are going to do the back then go by 2 teeth, you will probably not even notice the difference with just 1 tooth! On the other hand if you do the front which is much cheaper then just do 1 tooth, I finally found my best ratio at 15 - 48

Give it a try you might like it, you might not but you can always go back!

Good Luck!