HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bulldog56

Cold Clutch

12 posts in this topic

My clutch grabs like a son of a gun and stalls my 426 when its cold unless I rev the hell out of it. Once the bike is hot,it works perfectly . Is this normal for the 426?

Mine does the exact same thing. Ive found that if I warm the clutch by slipping it with the rear brake on, it warms right up and works fine. Ive got a Hinson basket and inner hub, with zero wear, so the whole sticky thing must be static drag in the plates.

Shawn even with the Hinson it does that ?

My 00 is real bad like that when its cold and somewhat warm / op temp. I am told this is normal for the 00, that placing a 01 cage and assembly fixes the touch grabby feeling..

To get around it I just dump the clutch WFO and never use it after that. Makes for some funny take offs.... :)

when you are warming the bike up to go ride, try to pull the clutch in and out and stuff and get some oil flowin, see if it helps

Shawn: If you put the '01 spring boss and washer in, it may chew away at those O-rings, and eventually break them (as it did on mine). The O-rings were put there so that the '01 parts won't fall into the groove (the Hinson inner hub part number for the '00 and '01 are the same). I've run it without those two parts with no problems.

The '01 final friction plate has a smaller inside diameter and therefore has less friction surface area. Why this stops the chattering, I don't know. That one part isn't expensive (compared to buying all three), so it may be worth a try...

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: holeshot ]

I put the final friction plate (the one at the back) from the '01 in my '00, and the grabby-ness disappeared. I left out the '01 boss spring and washer (incompatible with Hinson inner hub), and it still works perfectly.

My 99 does the same thing. I just dry hop the bike a few times to get things workin and its fine after that. Ill have to try to hold the clutch in while warming up and see if this helps.

Ya I was dismayed a bit by the grabby deal. Here's the wierd part: After Ive had it apart for a bit, like when I had to fix my keyway, or when I did the inner hub, it wasnt grabby. It got grabby after a bit. I know if I take the thing apart, and put it back together again, the clutch would be bitchen for like 8 rides, then go back to what it is now.

Question for Holeshot : There is a difference in the plates from place to place?

My Hinson basket has an o ring in the bottom of it, I imagine for a cushion of some type. Id never seen that before, but things change right :D

Im sure the grabbiness is from a lack of oil at start up. I guess holding the clutch in for a while at start up might help, but it certainly wouldnt help my arm pump issue at all :)

Keith nailed it! Hold in the clutch lever for about 20 seconds before engaging 1st gear and chances are your clutch will NOT be grabby and make that awful chicken squawking noise.

Shawn: If you put the '01 spring boss and washer in, it may chew away at those O-rings, and eventually break them (as it did on mine). The O-rings were put there so that the '01 parts won't fall into the groove (the Hinson inner hub part number for the '00 and '01 are the same). I've run it without those two parts with no problems.

The '01 final friction plate has a smaller inside diameter and therefore has less friction surface area. Why this stops the chattering, I don't know. That one part isn't expensive (compared to buying all three), so it may be worth a try...

HEY Holeshot did you put the o-rings back in? Do you know if they are needed if you dont use the plate and spring boss? Let me know I have a hinson basket / inner and outer hub but i just want to run all the normal clutch fibers and plates Let me know Thanks :cry: