Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gone_Riden

Info needed about riding at Taylor Park Res. Colorado

12 posts in this topic

1. What is the noise level of Stock 00' 426?

2. I am buying a spark arrestor adaptor from ProMotoBillet.

2. What is the legal noise limit in Colorado?

3. Where is Gas available in the Taylor Park Res. area?

I was told that Taylor Park Trading Post, Tincup, Pitkin, Almont, Gunnison and Crested Butte all have gas, is this true and is there anywhere else?

Sorry if this is an beatin topic, its my first time on site. (give me some slack) Thanks, les

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: Gone Riden ]

Originally posted by Hokie:

Hey merf,

Did you tap the holes for the pro-moto endcap instead of using the pop rivets?

8 screws seems a little excessive.

I haven't installed it yet, but I intended to tap the holes. Yea, I think 8 is a little much but it shouldn't take me more than about 4 beers to finish. :)

BTW, I didn't even ask and they sent both screws and rivets. My buddy riveted his.. I just thought it'd make for easier repacking access.

Merf

Originally posted by Merfman:

I haven't installed it yet, but I intended to tap the holes. Yea, I think 8 is a little much but it shouldn't take me more than about 4 beers to finish. :)

Merf

4 beers seems like an underestimate.....of course any more than that and the tapping may start to get a little crooked!

:D

This will be my first time at TP. Me and 4 or 5 others will be making the trip together all first timers. We have a cabin at TP Trading Post reserved for late August.

We typically ride in Texas in a town called Bulcher, on the Red River. We can usually get between 30 and 40 miles in per day.

I have purchased a 3.3 gal tank

Spark Arrestor

Fender bag (for lots of tools and things)

I will have New Dunlop 756's

New brakes.

Please make suggestions.

Would like to know some more GAS stops in the area.

Originally posted by Gone Riden:

1. What is the noise level of Stock 00' 426?

2. I am buying a spark arrestor adaptor from ProMotoBillet.

2. What is the legal noise limit in Colorado?

3. Where is Gas available in the Taylor Park Res. area?

I was told that Taylor Park Trading Post, Tincup, Pitkin, Almont, Gunnison and Crested Butte all have gas, is this true and is there anywhere else?

Sorry if this is an beatin topic, its my first time on site. (give me some slack) Thanks, les

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: Gone Riden ]

1) Around 105db

2) Nice unit, I have one also.

2) Currently, for trail riding, there is no limit. However, Less Sound = More Ground.

3) I'm not sure about Tincup, Pitkin or Almont, but there is gas at the other places.

Ever been to TP?

Hey merf,

Did you tap the holes for the pro-moto endcap instead of using the pop rivets?

8 screws seems a little excessive.

oops, double post.

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

Suggestions?:

Skid plate

Handguards (saves levers)

Good tires

TP and the surrounding area is VERY rocky. The vistas are well worth learning to ride rocks however.

As far as gas is concerned, this is a semi-remote area. Live by one rule: Never pass gas without topping off.

Merf

I was out to Taylor park last July. There was still snow in the mountain passes. There is gas at Taylor park. AS well as a store to buy minimal supplies. Most small town's I came across in the area had gas. But ya know I never had to use any of them. We rode pretty much all day and never filled up. I was on my 99 yz400 and got 90 miles on 1 stock tank of gas one day. You will get way better gas milage in the mountains. With your 3.3 gal tank You probable wont have any problems. I have lots of pictures of the area. If ya want I can send ya a couple. Give me your e-mail address.

In 1 week Imanaged to destroy a set of 756's. They worked great but the terain just tears them up.

Make sure you go out prepaired. Some of the places we were in were so remote that they would have to airlift you out. Bring tubes/air, tools, enduro jacket, food, first aid, maybe zip ties,duct tape, master link, water. There were some places out there that I really wouldn't want to break down. I wasn't too prepaired and it really got me thinkin. We diddn't have any problems but you never know.

Its pretty fun shutting the bike off and coasting down the back side of some of the taller pass's. You can go for miles just coasting. Try drafting and passing, its fun. Great milage that way also.

Careful with the coaster races though... the bike acts differently not being under power. I was talking to Roesler last year on the Colorado 500 and he was nursing 3 broken ribs. Evidently he and Malcolm were coaster racing down Engineer Pass when LR went OTB. He claims Malcolm is as crazy and fast as ever BTW...

hey merf, what part of the springs you live? im from the west side(navy now, wishing i was back home) good to see someone from the hometown.

Originally posted by clarkster:

hey merf, what part of the springs you live? im from the west side(navy now, wishing i was back home) good to see someone from the hometown.

I'm living in Black Forest right now, and probably forever. :) I've lived on the SW side, East side (by Sky Sox Stadium), West side and Woodland Park.

Thanks for doing the job you're doing!

Merf