Waterphobia

My 00 426 has serious issues with deep water- if I don't go ripping through it and get myself soaking wet, the bike sputters and dies (always in the deepest part of course). Does anyone else have this problem? What could be causing it? My guess is water getting sucked up into the carb through the drain hoses, but I went riding with a guy on a 00 WR this weekend, and he didn't have the same problem. When this happens, I pull the hot start, pull the decomp lever, and kick through it about 10-15 times. It always fires right up after doing this (this method also works if I take a dive and flood it). Any ideas on what is causing this would be appreciated.

Cowboy

If you are going through alot of water, I suggest the following:

"WATERPROOOF"

Serious, you will need to go through all the bike and simply silicon up / Seal all the electrical connects or case them up. I do not think its water in the Carb,,,,,,,

A trick we used for winter riding was to cut down the middle on one side a plastic 35mm film container. Open it up and wrap it around the electric connects, then silicon the seam good pop the cap on and tape it up.

Seams like a lot of work but it pays off, ...

waterproofcase.gif

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

The problem you describe is caused when crossing deep water and your vent hoses go underwater. When they're underwater, they can't draw air. The solution is to "t-vent" the two tubes that pass over the top of the carb. Insert a "T" on each (I've been told that 1 is sufficient but being anal I did both) hose and route the new line into the airbox. That way, when one end is underwater, the other can draw air. It made my '01YZ426 a virtual submarine.

Merf

Ego- where did you put the film can over the wires? Did you install it on the main plug where you do the blue wire mod?

Merf- does t-venting require drilling holes in the airbox? Is this the additional tube on the carb I've seen on 02 426's?

cowboy

I have not done this to the yz as yet, have not had it long enough to ride in the rain. But that is where I would place it when I do..

I did this on my other bikes. I placed them on areas that had few connections (Like the BlueWire Connects) to cover the entire piece.

Originally posted by cowboyona426:

Merf- does t-venting require drilling holes in the airbox? Is this the additional tube on the carb I've seen on 02 426's?

Naaah, I just routed mine through the frame and into the top of the airbox.

Merf

Which two hoses do you need to t-vent? The two closer to the top, or the two closer to to bottom of the carb?

The two that arc over the top and are held together with what looks like tape.

Originally posted by Merfman:

The two that arc over the top and are held together with what looks like tape.

Merf- is your bike an 01 or 02? Because my 00 doesn't have two that arc over the top, I have two on each side that go straight down. Two are mounted higher, and two are mounted lower. I'm guessing the two top ones are the ones to t-vent.

Merf- is your bike an 01 or 02?

Sorry, my bad. Mine's an '01. I'd say to vent the two at the top. You can be overly sadistic and vent them all (I did that last year) and it won't cause any damage. You do wind up with a mess of vent hoses, which is why I removed all the T except those in the top two hoses.