Install DID 520 X-Ring.....how?

The DID X ring chain is my chain of choice so I am familiar with it. The method I use to install the master link clip is to use a master link press. It's only about $15 from Bob's cycle supply and it makes the job so easy. It's very simple to use and is made just for this installation. Other people use needle nosed vice grips or channel locks. I prefer the press.

If you got a higher end x-ring like I did then the master link is the rivet type (did you one of these?). In this case the tools is expensive so I just took it to the place where I purchased the chain and let them rivet it on. I would expect them to do it for free if you buy the chain there.

If you got the clip type then you've already got good advice above. ?

If it's a master link instead of the rivet kind, you can do it like I did. I took the side plate from the previous chain's master link and put it over the top of the new master link side plate and used a set of vice grips to apply pressure. That compressed the o-rings. I let it set for a minute, removed the channel locks and extra side plate, and put the new clip on. Worked like a champ, haven't had any problems since.

The big issue with the x or o-ring chains is the o-ring bulging out. You can't get the side plate on far enough to get the clip on. Any way you can find to temporarily compress it while you install the clip should work. The method above used existing parts and tools, that's why I chose it. I'm sure any of the others listed will work as well.