Cracked case on gear shifter side on '04 from Moab ride

Has anyone had a cracked case on their left side from the gear shifter hitting it? I tried to fix it with JB weld and it held for awhile but now it is leaking oil again. I may have to order a new case cover? anyone have this problem? The shifter gets mighty close to the case cover and I dont know if this is a manufacturing defect on mine or if everyones is that close. I think I may grind the shifter down for more clearance. Any suggestions?

I personally haven't had this problem, but a good buddy of mine did this last week in Moab. Don't know how he did it because he is an awesome rider, but somewhow he hit the shifter into the case. We fixed it with JB Weld and it held through the rest of the weekend.

We rode enough we could hardly sit down on a seat but the JB Weld held.

How's it going loco? Good to see you posting here, means you made it home OK!

PM me and let me know how the drive was and how you are recovering from our trip.

Hey jackofall, Yep I am dead tired but did make it home. I had to stop in LaGrande for an hour to get some shuteye. It sure helped because I was wondering if I would make it home or not. 3 words: My butt hurts!!

That guard looks good, I think I will have to get a new case and Yamaha charges $96! I think I may get teh guard so it doesnt happen again. I will try and post a picture of my cracked case. It cracked from the gear shifter hitting it I think.

When I was in Moab last year in the fall, I saw a guy that crashed in a real easy section of kane creek and punched a hole with his shifter right through the case. :D He was trying to buy my side cover since I was on my last day and he was on his first day. :D Anyway since I upgraded to the 04 starter I have a spare side cover and ordered the bushing to go in the 03 cover. I dont know why they make nice aluminum clutch covers for the WR450 but nothing for the ignition side. ?

• 10 months later...

I never did give an update on the result and how I fixed it. I went to an autoparts store and bought a silver tube of Cold Steel. You take a chunk off (it is a putty with 2 colors in it) and rub it together to mix the 2 putties toghether and it gets warm. I put it on the case cover and smoothed it out and let it harden. It hasnt leaked yet. The good thing is it is silver in color as it hardens so it doesnt stand out. ?

I never did give an update on the result and how I fixed it. I went to an autoparts store and bought a silver tube of Cold Steel. You take a chunk off (it is a putty with 2 colors in it) and rub it together to mix the 2 putties toghether and it gets warm. I put it on the case cover and smoothed it out and let it harden. It hasnt leaked yet. The good thing is it is silver in color as it hardens so it doesnt stand out. ?

I carry a tube of that stuff in my fanny pack just for situations such as yours. ?