oil filter cover screw - fix? Help

Guys,

Sorry if this has been done to death, but I've tried using search and I still have some questions.

I guess we all know about the metal filings that can foul the allen bolt thread on the filter cover, but I still can't quite see how this 'Ty Davis' fix works. As I understand it, it involves plugging the drain hole - presumably this plug is also threaded, to accept a smaller dia filter cover bolt????

I'd like to get a fix for this soon as I can already see my threads beginning to deteriorate....

cheers.

I had the same issue. My allen head bolt wore out & just spun on tightening. MXTuner/Mark Klein fixed mine with a "Time Cert" installed into the case. This involved removing the case, drilling out the threads, rethreading & installing the time cert. The Cert covers the little drain hole, so- never again do I have to worry about the metel particles eating up my allen head bolt. Also, buy a new allen head bolt as yours is probably disfigured. You can email him at mxtuner@mindspring.com for more details

Originally posted by Thumpty Dumpty:

As I understand it, it involves plugging the drain hole - presumably this plug is also threaded, to accept a smaller dia filter cover bolt????

The article I read had him threading that hole. I cannot remember if he enlarged it first or not, but you have to tap the hole to thread the plug in there.

We need to clarify which holes are what here. There is a huge "who's on first" deal going on here. The Ty Davis fix is to plug the hole from the oil filter cavity to the bolt hole. The bolt hole fix is the TYME sert to fix the stripped allen screw hole. The TYME sert is an insert that replaces the stripped threads. The Ty Davis fix is to thread the drain hole from oil filter cavity to the allen screw hole, and screw a set screw into it. Ive also heard of the drain hole being plugged with silicone. ?