WR450F Airbox Intake

Has anyone bought and tried out one of these? This is what I found out about it.

-----

With the addition of the electric starter to the WR, intake airflow has been reduced due to the battery under the seat. Getting more airflow into the carburetion system will increase performance. The safest place to get more intake air on the WR is the side panel next to the air filter. Before you grab a hole saw and start drilling you need to take a few things into consideration. Without any type of shield you are asking for trouble as debris will be sucked inside clogging the air filter. You also stand a chance of ruining the side cover.

Barnum Pro Products air box mod is made of billet aluminum with fine mesh screens that allow more airflow yet keep small particles out of the air box. You do need to clean the air filter more often but the power increase is well worth it. Performance wise the $68.95 kit is inexpensive horsepower. I'd guesstimate a 2 HP gain with it.

I have the Barnum kit, but haven't installed it. The reason I didn't install it: I originally modified my left side cover by cutting three 2.5 inch holes, and then bought 3 metal drain covers (kinda like the ones that go over the drain in the shower) from Home Depot that fit in the holes. Got some air vent filter material and cut it to size. Installed the drain covers w/ the filter material on the inside. Total cost was under $10, and I change the filter material every couple weeks. The material gets filthy, so I know its working. And based on the size of the Barnum unit, I'm pretty sure I'm get the same amount of airflow. If anyone's interested, I can post a picture later tonight.

I'll buy another side panel one day and install the Barnum, but I'm in no rush. I'd return it, but the wife got it for me, and she tried so hard to find me a cool gift. By the way, you also need a pop rivot gun to install it.

So I take it your new Barnum kit won't fit now cause of the airbox mod you did?

I have the Barnum kit, but haven't installed it. The reason I didn't install it: I originally modified my left side cover by cutting three 2.5 inch holes, and then bought 3 metal drain covers (kinda like the ones that go over the drain in the shower) from Home Depot that fit in the holes. Got some air vent filter material and cut it to size. Installed the drain covers w/ the filter material on the inside. Total cost was under $10, and I change the filter material every couple weeks. The material gets filthy, so I know its working. And based on the size of the Barnum unit, I'm pretty sure I'm get the same amount of airflow. If anyone's interested, I can post a picture later tonight.

I'll buy another side panel one day and install the Barnum, but I'm in no rush. I'd return it, but the wife got it for me, and she tried so hard to find me a cool gift. By the way, you also need a pop rivot gun to install it.

No, it won't fit. The holes I drilled are just a little too widely spaced.

Did you notice a significant difference in power? I would do this if it makes a big difference, but not sure it is worth it.

There was a noticable difference. Went up 2 main jet sizes because of the better airflow. If you want to see the difference, take the side cover off of your airbox and ride around a little.

I bought the Barnum's kit. I think it works good. I notice some extra power especially in the low RPMs. :) If you get one, follow the instructions closely and take your time. It is a one shot deal with all those rivets to install. :D They give you two screens. I used them both for added strength. I have a friend used only one and his screen started to deteriorate. I think it is a good product. I think the Home Depot way is O.K. too. If you got pictures it would be cool to see them. :D