'01 tranny - 2nd to 1st neutrals

I have a nagging issue with my '01 bike. Since new it has always been difficult to downshift from second to first. In fact, I don't even think it is possible for me to downshift without it going into neutral instead of first. I can usually upshift with no problem.

At first I just thought it was because I didn't know what I was doing. :) Anyway, now that I am more familiar with the bike, I am beginning to think this is a problem.

It is most annoying if I downshift too many times in a tight corner and then find myself in neutral.

Anyone know what could cause this?

[ May 19, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

bent fork? :)

Are you rolling at the time that you're trying to downshift to first? If you're rolling slowly, is it better if you hold your foot on the shifter for a second or two instead of giving it a single tap? In my personal experience, motorcycle trannies in general aren't real good at shifting when you're rolling slow or stopped and my uneducated guess is that this might be what's happening to you.

Are you rolling at the time that you're trying to downshift to first?

It usually happens when I am barrelling into a tight turn from 4th gear, I slam on the brakes, downshift multiple times (trying to get to second), then do one too many and end up in neutral instead of first.

I was just outside test riding my bike after bleeding the brakes. I *can* downshift from 2nd to 1st if I am going fairly slow (2nd gear, 1/8th throttle). But it does seem real notchy and requires more than just a quick tap.

The same thing with my 99 YZ400. I have to keep my foot on the gear shift for a second till I feel it notch into first. Many a time, I've started to crest a sand dune and click from second to neutral, stopping almost immediatly. That sucks when your back tire is buried in 6 inches of sand and the only thing to do is get off and turn the bike around. I don't know of a fix for this.

Are you guys shure you are pushing the shift lever all the way down? You can get into neutral by either pulling the shifter half way up from 1st to 2nd or push it half way down from 2nd to 1st. Whenever I am shure I need to be in first i push the shifter down a couple extra times.

[ May 19, 2002: Message edited by: mxrider426 ]

Are you guys shure you are pushing the shift lever all the way down?

It may be my first dirt bike since I was nine, but I am not that lame! :)

Yes, I am sure I am pushing it all the way down. It just won't go any further than neutral unless I slow way down, and try it a couple of times. Simply pushing down on the shifter won't do it. I have to really work at it.

Who Uses first or second anyway :)